Psychology/mini interview

I was given an assignment in my psychology class where I need to interview someone in the psychology field. I hope you can answers these few questions. Thank you!
(1) What is the title of your job? If the title is unclear, please include the title but also describe
the job title in everyday terms.
(2) What is a typical day like for someone in this career?
(3) What are the most satisfying parts of this career (e.g., helping people, good pay, flexible
hours, etc.)?
(4) What are the negative aspects of this career (e.g., boring at times, low pay, long hours, etc.)?
(5) What is the approximate salary of someone in this career when they first begin?
(6) What education / degree is required or recommended for this type of position?
(7) What skills or abilities are important for this job (e.g., writing, presentation skills, good with
numbers / math, etc.)?
(8) What is the best advice for a student to prepare or qualify for this job?

Melissa - I am a research (experimental) psychologist.  I do not see patients.  I do a mixture of teaching and research.  Specifically, I am a consultant for companies in the medical field and conduct research projects which involve interviewing healthcare providers and consumers, learning about their needs and attitudes.  This information helps the companies design new products and services.  I thoroughly enjoy the research and teaching.  The pluses of this job are that it is extremely interesting and never gets boring, the pay is good (not great) - $80-100 K per year.  You do need a Ph.D.and must have excellent verbal and written skills, presentation skills, knowledge of research methodology and statistics, be able to think critically and provid new insights to your clients.  For teaching, you need to be able to anticipate your students needs, make the material interesting and design projects and inclass work that brings the material into the real world.

Katherine ONeill

I can answer academic questions about psychology. I am not a clinician (therapist), I am a research psychologist with expertise in biopsychology, general psychology, cognitive psychology, research methods and psychopharmacology.

I have 25 years experience as a researcher in health behavior, biopsychology and psychopharmacology.

Healthcare Businesswomen's Association

Applications of Market Research for Small Business UMBC Activate Program, March 2008 HIV/AIDS: An assessment of Need in the Continuum of Care. Optum Health Education., 12/2008 Maximizing the online medium for market research: Best practices. Market Research for Pharmaceuticals Conference, 12/06/2006 O誰eill, K.A. APD, ADD, ADHD and AD/HD: Personal and scientific reflections. Audiology Online, 6/6/2005. O誰eill, K.A. et al, Hyperactivity induced by NMDA injections into the nucleus accumbens. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 34(4), Dec 1989, 739-745. O誰eill, K.A. and Liebman, J.M. Unique behavioral effects of the NMDA antagonist, CPP, upon injection into the medial prefrontal cortex of rats. Brain Research, 435(1-2), Dec 1987, 371-376. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centally administered H2 antagonists on motor activity. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 264, 1987, 683-686. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centrally administered H2 antagonists in the behavioral despair test. 90(2), 1986, 190-192. O誰eill, K.A. Chronic desipramine attenuates morphine analgesia. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 24(1), Jan 1986, 155 158. O誰eill, K.A. and Valentino, D. Escapability and generalization: Effect on 礎ehavioral despair. European Journal of Pharmacology 78(3), March 1982, 379-80. O誰eill, K.A. et al, An automated high capacity method for measuring jumping latencies on a hot plate. Journal of Pharmacological Methods, 10(1), Aug 1983, 13-18. O誰eill, K.A., Scott, C. and Weissman, A. Naloxone enhances nociceptive responding. Society for Neuroscience, Abstract 9: 274, 1983.

Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, University of Rhode Island, 1983. Post doctoral fellow dept of psychiatry, New York University Medical Center, 1983-1984. Post doctoral fellow, dept of pharmacology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1984-1985.