Psychology/Difference Between Humanist and Cognitive Perspectives in Psychology

Hi. I am currently studying for a Psychology exam as a freshman in college. Over time, I have found trends in the different perspectives of psychology, namely the psychodynamic, cognitive, (new wave cognitive,) behavioral, (cognitive-behavioral,) biological, and humanist approaches. Because of this, I am finding that many of them seem to share views and clump together, making them more difficult to distinguish. Can you help me with this? Thank you.

Vincenzo,  the different schools of psychology do overlap and share some concepts.  You have to look at it from the very big picture - what is their core belief or theory about human behavior?
The Humanist perspective says that people are driven by the desire to become their best selves - that people are basically good. It stresses the idea that everyone has potential to grow and self-actualize  (see Mazlow).    Cognitive psychology focuses on how we process sensory and other information - thinking, analysis, brain function.  Psychodynamic believes that human behavior is driven by a competition between the id (pleasure seeking) and the superego (conscience).  Behavioral psychology says that our behavior is controlled by rewards and punishments.  

I hope this helps

Katherine ONeill

I can answer academic questions about psychology. I am not a clinician (therapist), I am a research psychologist with expertise in biopsychology, general psychology, cognitive psychology, research methods and psychopharmacology.

I have 25 years experience as a researcher in health behavior, biopsychology and psychopharmacology.

Healthcare Businesswomen's Association

Applications of Market Research for Small Business UMBC Activate Program, March 2008 HIV/AIDS: An assessment of Need in the Continuum of Care. Optum Health Education., 12/2008 Maximizing the online medium for market research: Best practices. Market Research for Pharmaceuticals Conference, 12/06/2006 O誰eill, K.A. APD, ADD, ADHD and AD/HD: Personal and scientific reflections. Audiology Online, 6/6/2005. O誰eill, K.A. et al, Hyperactivity induced by NMDA injections into the nucleus accumbens. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 34(4), Dec 1989, 739-745. O誰eill, K.A. and Liebman, J.M. Unique behavioral effects of the NMDA antagonist, CPP, upon injection into the medial prefrontal cortex of rats. Brain Research, 435(1-2), Dec 1987, 371-376. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centally administered H2 antagonists on motor activity. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 264, 1987, 683-686. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centrally administered H2 antagonists in the behavioral despair test. 90(2), 1986, 190-192. O誰eill, K.A. Chronic desipramine attenuates morphine analgesia. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 24(1), Jan 1986, 155 158. O誰eill, K.A. and Valentino, D. Escapability and generalization: Effect on 礎ehavioral despair. European Journal of Pharmacology 78(3), March 1982, 379-80. O誰eill, K.A. et al, An automated high capacity method for measuring jumping latencies on a hot plate. Journal of Pharmacological Methods, 10(1), Aug 1983, 13-18. O誰eill, K.A., Scott, C. and Weissman, A. Naloxone enhances nociceptive responding. Society for Neuroscience, Abstract 9: 274, 1983.

Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, University of Rhode Island, 1983. Post doctoral fellow dept of psychiatry, New York University Medical Center, 1983-1984. Post doctoral fellow, dept of pharmacology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1984-1985.