Psychology/Disorder

Question
I am not sure what is wrong with me. I have these episodes where I do crazy things to the people I love and don't realize what I am doing until afterwards. The other night I tried to get my girlfriend arrested for something she didn't do and then I was like what the hell did I just do? Why did I do that? Or sometimes I will get so mad I will start hitting myself and go into this mental breakdown over something small. I have burnt many bridges with this. It is like every couple of months I get all crazy and depressed for no reason and then I am fine a few weeks later. I hate this about myself and when people ask why did you do that and I tell them I do not know and I wasn't thinking it's like I see red and don't think logically then I am stuck in the worst predicaments. I really want to go to the doctor for this soon because I have been diagnosed with ADHD and depression in the past but I just think there's more to that. Some weeks I am happy and have so much hope for life and then I get super irritable for a few weeks and have some crazy episode. I don't do drugs. I smoked a lot of marijuana when I was in highschool and had annadderall addiction for 3 years and then I did meth for about a month
I haven't done any drugs like that in over a year. I sometimes feel as if my adderall addiction gave me psychosis. I don't know what is wrong with me. Could you please give me your advice on what it could be? Thank you.

Answer
Emily - I am NOT a clinical psychologist.  That means I do not see patients, and I am not trained to do diagnosis or therapy.  I am a researcher and professor.  Having said that, I strongly suggest that you see a psychiatrist.  You may have bipolar disorder - people with bipolar have big mood swings from feeling very confident, having a lot of energy and a little crazy and then swing into being depressed, feeling like no one loves them and life is terrible.  It is VERY important to find a really good psychiatrist.  Depending on where you live - many cities have magazines like Philadelphia magazine or the Washingtonian - and they have at least one article every year about the best doctors in that city.  You can google the articles.    Are you taking medication for ADHD?  I don't understand why you are saying that you had an adderal addiction. Adderal would have been a good medicine for ADHD.  Are you seeing a doctor now for the ADHD?

Psychology

Katherine ONeill