Psychology/Interview with a Psychologist (College Assignment)

Hi! I need to do an assignment for college where I interview a professional from the mayor that im at.

1. What Company do you work for?
2. Years of experience in that company?
3. What made you study Psychology?
4. What are some of you biggest accomplishments?
5. Did you know you were gonna end up doing what you do since your first year of college?
6. I would like to be a Neuroscientist, how close to that Psychology branch are you in what you do?
7. Do you feel happy/satisfied helping other people?
8. What is the worst case you have ever encountered?
9. Did you have to sacrifice a lot to be where you are now? (By sacrifice I mean: family, house, economically, etc)
10. How long did it take you to obtain all your education?
11. Was all the hard work put into studying worth it?
12. What would be a advice from you to me, a transfer student that put 3 years into an engineering career and later decided to change mayors to psychology.

I don't know how long it usually take to receive answers, but I have a Deadline for august 30. I appreciate your time, Thank you in advance!

My Ph.D.  is in Experimental Psychology - I am a researcher, I do not see patients.  I have worked for a large pharmaceutical company, doing animal research on medications for psychiatric diseases and trying to understand the biochemistry of anxiety and depression.  I spent 20 years as an independent consultant, doing market research for pharma and biotech companies.  For example, conducting research among psychiatrists to determine their unmet needs with regard to medications for depression.  I studied Psych because I think it is endlessly fascinating to examine human behavior and thought.  I am also fascinated by the brain.  My first year of college I was an art major, and after taking a psych course, I changed my major.  Right now I teach at the college level.  I love teaching and getting students excited about new ideas as well as seeing them develop knowledge and self confidence.  

I took out loans to go to college and got a teaching assistantship in grad school.  I paid my student loans off when I was 40 years old - but it was definitely worth it. I earn good money and I love what I do. I spent 6 years in grad school working on my Ph.D.  

If you love psychology, do it.  You may find out along the way that some of what you studied in engineering will be helpful in psychology.  For example, there is a field called human factors psychology - which basically studies how humans interact with machines and technology - and how to design technology to have the best fit with humans.  Good luck.

Katherine ONeill

I can answer academic questions about psychology. I am not a clinician (therapist), I am a research psychologist with expertise in biopsychology, general psychology, cognitive psychology, research methods and psychopharmacology.

I have 25 years experience as a researcher in health behavior, biopsychology and psychopharmacology.

Healthcare Businesswomen's Association

Applications of Market Research for Small Business UMBC Activate Program, March 2008 HIV/AIDS: An assessment of Need in the Continuum of Care. Optum Health Education., 12/2008 Maximizing the online medium for market research: Best practices. Market Research for Pharmaceuticals Conference, 12/06/2006 O誰eill, K.A. APD, ADD, ADHD and AD/HD: Personal and scientific reflections. Audiology Online, 6/6/2005. O誰eill, K.A. et al, Hyperactivity induced by NMDA injections into the nucleus accumbens. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 34(4), Dec 1989, 739-745. O誰eill, K.A. and Liebman, J.M. Unique behavioral effects of the NMDA antagonist, CPP, upon injection into the medial prefrontal cortex of rats. Brain Research, 435(1-2), Dec 1987, 371-376. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centally administered H2 antagonists on motor activity. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 264, 1987, 683-686. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centrally administered H2 antagonists in the behavioral despair test. 90(2), 1986, 190-192. O誰eill, K.A. Chronic desipramine attenuates morphine analgesia. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 24(1), Jan 1986, 155 158. O誰eill, K.A. and Valentino, D. Escapability and generalization: Effect on 礎ehavioral despair. European Journal of Pharmacology 78(3), March 1982, 379-80. O誰eill, K.A. et al, An automated high capacity method for measuring jumping latencies on a hot plate. Journal of Pharmacological Methods, 10(1), Aug 1983, 13-18. O誰eill, K.A., Scott, C. and Weissman, A. Naloxone enhances nociceptive responding. Society for Neuroscience, Abstract 9: 274, 1983.

Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, University of Rhode Island, 1983. Post doctoral fellow dept of psychiatry, New York University Medical Center, 1983-1984. Post doctoral fellow, dept of pharmacology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1984-1985.