Psychology/Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Hello I have compiled a list of 10 questions that I would I like to ask a mental health professional regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: If possible would you be able to get back to me with your answers by the end of the day? Thank you

1. Is OCD a learned behavior or is it considered to be hereditary?

2. Is OCD just as common in children as it is in adults?

3. Why is the onset of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder more common in boys than in girls?

4. Why do people with OCD tend to let their compulsive behavior intefer with their daily lives?

5. Does a person who suffers from OCD realize that their obsessions or compulsions are unreasonable?

6. Are there any other mood or anxiety disorders that may co-occur with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

7. Why is OCD becoming more common?

8. Why do people with OCD develops obsessions?

9. Can an individual be treated for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

10. Is there more than 1 form of treatment for people who suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

Ocd is a biological disorder.  We don't know why it I'd more common in boys.  I don't know the stats on adult v children but you can look up info at the ocd foundation web page.  People with ocd are controlled by it that is why they engage in the behavior.  Some may see their behavior as inspprpriate.  There are behavioral and pharmacological treatments available.

Katherine ONeill

I can answer academic questions about psychology. I am not a clinician (therapist), I am a research psychologist with expertise in biopsychology, general psychology, cognitive psychology, research methods and psychopharmacology.

I have 25 years experience as a researcher in health behavior, biopsychology and psychopharmacology.

Healthcare Businesswomen's Association

Applications of Market Research for Small Business UMBC Activate Program, March 2008 HIV/AIDS: An assessment of Need in the Continuum of Care. Optum Health Education., 12/2008 Maximizing the online medium for market research: Best practices. Market Research for Pharmaceuticals Conference, 12/06/2006 O誰eill, K.A. APD, ADD, ADHD and AD/HD: Personal and scientific reflections. Audiology Online, 6/6/2005. O誰eill, K.A. et al, Hyperactivity induced by NMDA injections into the nucleus accumbens. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 34(4), Dec 1989, 739-745. O誰eill, K.A. and Liebman, J.M. Unique behavioral effects of the NMDA antagonist, CPP, upon injection into the medial prefrontal cortex of rats. Brain Research, 435(1-2), Dec 1987, 371-376. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centally administered H2 antagonists on motor activity. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 264, 1987, 683-686. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centrally administered H2 antagonists in the behavioral despair test. 90(2), 1986, 190-192. O誰eill, K.A. Chronic desipramine attenuates morphine analgesia. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 24(1), Jan 1986, 155 158. O誰eill, K.A. and Valentino, D. Escapability and generalization: Effect on 礎ehavioral despair. European Journal of Pharmacology 78(3), March 1982, 379-80. O誰eill, K.A. et al, An automated high capacity method for measuring jumping latencies on a hot plate. Journal of Pharmacological Methods, 10(1), Aug 1983, 13-18. O誰eill, K.A., Scott, C. and Weissman, A. Naloxone enhances nociceptive responding. Society for Neuroscience, Abstract 9: 274, 1983.

Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, University of Rhode Island, 1983. Post doctoral fellow dept of psychiatry, New York University Medical Center, 1983-1984. Post doctoral fellow, dept of pharmacology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1984-1985.