Psychology/Past Fears Catching Up To Me !

Greetings !
Over the past several years - more than I care to remember - I have come across quite a number of angry and hostile individuals. Many of them attempted to come across as potential 'friends' of which they were not.  I often got angry with them and as a result I got back at them - sought revenge...nothing serious but enough to get them mightily steamed.  I have stopped doing all these things and have not heard from them any of these people nor saw them.  However, I fear that someday down the road some of these people might do either myself or my family a great deal of harm. Are my fears totally unfounded ?  Should I have much to worry about ?  Thanks !

Excellent question. One cannot be too careful in this world we live in. Your right in your thinking. Our society for some reason is producing more sociopaths, people with no conscience, only concerned with their own welfare. I would encourage you to read on this topic. For example according to Psychology Today (2014), antisocial personality disorder for sociopaths and psychopaths share these traits:

"A disregard for laws and social mores
A disregard for the rights of others
A failure to feel remorse or guilt
A tendency to display violent behavior

In addition to their commonalities, sociopaths and psychopaths also have their own unique behavioral characteristics as well."

Some are even known to lash out even at a minor slight or offense. So your fears are not totally unfounded, no. Just be careful who you are friends with. It is not the amount of friends you have but the quality of the friendship. Rule of thumb, do not engage in on-going drama. Be direct, not passive aggressive. Be friendly but not overly trusting of new friends or acquaintances.

Hope this helps,

Michael Stark
Ph. D in progress for Gen. Psych

Michael Stark

I can answer questions regarding substance abuse and chemical dependency as I was a Substance Abuse counselor for Mental Health Systems (MHS)and I have a AS degree in Alcohol and Other Drug Studies. Also I can answer questions on human sexuality. I have two additional degrees, a BS in Psychology and a MS in Psychology.

Former chemical dependency counselor. I have 6 years of education in the area of Behavioral Science and Psychology.

Associates in Science Alcohol and other Drug Studies Bachelors in Science Psychology Masters in Science Psychology

2006-2008 Deans Honor List at San Diego City College

Proposition 36 clients at MHS