Psychology/Interview Questions for Class Paper

Question
Hello, I was wondering if you could answer a few simple questions for a small class paper. If there are things that you do not want me to mention about yourself in the [one-two] page paper please let me know.

1. Why did you become a psychologist?

2. Which section of psychology did you decide to go into? W

3. Why did you decide to go into psychology?

4. How long did it take you to become a psychologist?

5. What are some struggles that you have faced as a psychologist?

6. Where did you receive your degree to become a psychologist?

7. What is the most memorable thing you have experienced as a psychologist?

8. Is there anything else that you would like a student audience to know about yourself as a psychologist or about the psychology field in general?

I hope you can take your time to answer these questions. if you are not comfortable answering all of them, you may leave the question blank. Thank you so much if you have the time to look at my questions.

Answer
I teach and do research - I am not a clinical psychologist - I do not see patients.  I went into psychology because I was/am fascinated by the brain and behavior.  I pursued a Ph.D. in Biopsych.  It took me 6 years to complete my dissertation and courses for my Ph.D.   When competing for some jobs, I was at a disadvantage over people who had PhD's from Biology departments, while I was a behaviorist.  I got my degree at Univ of Rhode Island.  I can't say there was one memorable thing.  I have thoroughly enjoyed working in this field, particularly as we have made some many advances in Biopsych in the last 25 years.  I think that an undergrad degree in psych will serve you well whatever field you enter into later.  You will be prepared to think critically, understand individual and group behavior and have some understanding of how your brain works.  That will help you work with others, raise a family, manage your personal relationships and understand yourself.

Psychology

Katherine ONeill