Psychology/Beauty & Health

Question
Is there any real connection between beauty and health? I know symmetry is often an indicator of both beauty and health but for those of qualities that aren't clearly health related, but do affect attractiveness, can it be said that more attractive people have fewer health afflictions? I am wondering how smart evolution is and how worried I should be to not be beautiful. lol. I read some studies that gave attractive people at least a 15% benefit in blood pressure, cancer, and the more common issues people have including depression.

What do we know on this and when two attractive people have a less attractive child together does this make he or she more prone to sickness?

Answer
James - I know of no studies that show a causative relationship between beauty and health.  There are a couple of studies that show slight correlations between attractiveness of children and health measures in middle age. Beautiful people are more likely to take good care of themselves, and be rewarded for doing so.  There is no known biological relationship between beauty and health. There are other factors involved as well - education, poverty, etc.  A 15% benefit in blood pressure is not clinically significant.  

That's like saying being beautiful decreases your risk of heart attack by 50 percent.  That means it went from 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 5,000.  Not really significant.  Most of these studies are looking for some evolutionary benefit from beauty.  That is going to be difficult to find in a post-industrial modern society.  We have all kinds of tools to make ourselves more attractive - grooming, clothing, makeup, hair styling, clothing, plastic surgery.

You can have a perfectly wonderful and healthy life without being beautiful.  

No, the less attractive child of two attractive parents will NOT be more prone to sickness.  

Psychology

Katherine ONeill