Psychology/blues

Question
Hi!
I listen to a lot of songs about having the blues. My question is: How does having the blues differ from being depressed? Is having the blues really the same as being very sad?

Answer
People refer to the "blues" are a feeling of sadness that is relatively short lived (a couple of days) and does not interfere with your daily function - that is, you go to work, do what you need to do.

By contrast, depression is a feeling of sadness, hopelessness, lack of energy, sleep and eating changes, that lasts a month or longer and that interferes to some degree with your daily activities. Things that gave the person pleasure in the past no longer do.  So, chocolate ice cream doesn't taste as good as it used to, your favorite TV show isn't as good as it used to be.  For example, people with clinical depression may have trouble getting out of bed in the morning and getting to work on time.  At work it may be hard to be motivated to get work done.  

If you think that you may have clinical depression, you should see your doctor immediately for an evaluation.  

Psychology

Katherine ONeill