Psychology/Question regarding IQ tests...

So I've never taken an official IQ test, however, I've taken one I know was authored by a psychologist in a book that had 60 questions and I scored a 132 on.. The other one I took was an app that had a test claiming to be designed by a psychologist and scored a 125 on it  (117 the first time but I messed up two sections because I wasn't prepared for one and the other I didn't read the instructions thoroughly, and they had strict time limits plus I took it at 2 am).  Two reviews stated that the test was pretty close to their actual results on professional tests.  Now I understand that's not enough to establish accuracy of the test, however, my main question involves that element.  How accurate can these tests be?  Would they provide reasonable estimates given they were written by qualified psychologists who specialize in psychometric testing?

I can't answer how accurate these tests are without more information.  The authors of the tests should have done some evaluation of construct validity - which basically is, does the test measure what it claims to measure?  This is done by comparing the scores of individuals who took both the new test and an older validated test.  There should be agreement between the scores.

If the reviews are accurate, that the results are close to the results on standardized tests, then you can assume that they have provided reasonable estimates of your IQ.  Note that a score of 100 is the average, and the standard deviation on most standard IQ tests is 12 or 15.  So that means that the 7 point difference between the 125 and 132 is not significant.

Katherine ONeill

I can answer academic questions about psychology. I am not a clinician (therapist), I am a research psychologist with expertise in biopsychology, general psychology, cognitive psychology, research methods and psychopharmacology.

I have 25 years experience as a researcher in health behavior, biopsychology and psychopharmacology.

Healthcare Businesswomen's Association

Applications of Market Research for Small Business UMBC Activate Program, March 2008 HIV/AIDS: An assessment of Need in the Continuum of Care. Optum Health Education., 12/2008 Maximizing the online medium for market research: Best practices. Market Research for Pharmaceuticals Conference, 12/06/2006 O誰eill, K.A. APD, ADD, ADHD and AD/HD: Personal and scientific reflections. Audiology Online, 6/6/2005. O誰eill, K.A. et al, Hyperactivity induced by NMDA injections into the nucleus accumbens. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 34(4), Dec 1989, 739-745. O誰eill, K.A. and Liebman, J.M. Unique behavioral effects of the NMDA antagonist, CPP, upon injection into the medial prefrontal cortex of rats. Brain Research, 435(1-2), Dec 1987, 371-376. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centally administered H2 antagonists on motor activity. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 264, 1987, 683-686. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centrally administered H2 antagonists in the behavioral despair test. 90(2), 1986, 190-192. O誰eill, K.A. Chronic desipramine attenuates morphine analgesia. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 24(1), Jan 1986, 155 158. O誰eill, K.A. and Valentino, D. Escapability and generalization: Effect on 礎ehavioral despair. European Journal of Pharmacology 78(3), March 1982, 379-80. O誰eill, K.A. et al, An automated high capacity method for measuring jumping latencies on a hot plate. Journal of Pharmacological Methods, 10(1), Aug 1983, 13-18. O誰eill, K.A., Scott, C. and Weissman, A. Naloxone enhances nociceptive responding. Society for Neuroscience, Abstract 9: 274, 1983.

Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, University of Rhode Island, 1983. Post doctoral fellow dept of psychiatry, New York University Medical Center, 1983-1984. Post doctoral fellow, dept of pharmacology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1984-1985.