Psychology/Race issues.

Lately on TV there have been a lot of racial expressions that I find it hard to interpret. The Oscars with Chris Rock with a cameo from Stacey Dash, the black lives matter movement, the continued references to the president's race, and this little girl that created a collection of children's books featuring black children in it because white faced children aren't relatable apparently. Things feel more segregated than ever plus the fact that there is the BET network that only seems to have black actors. What am I supposed to make of all of this?

James, race relations is not my area of expertise.  But I think it may help to understand that racism and discrimination are still problems in our society.  There is much evidence that shows that black people are treated differently by law enforcement, and that white people enjoy much priviledge in our society.  At a developmental level, it makes perfect sense that children would relate to children in stories who look like them.  I'm not sure what you mean by segregated.  Black Americans have created their own venues and opportunities for advancement where they are not discriminated against, as in white majority businesses and schools.   There are many studies that show that when two identical resumes are sent in for a job, and one has a "white" name on it, and the other has a "black" name on it,  the "white" candidate is more likely to get an interview.

Naturally, the experience of discrimination causes frustration and anger.  That is a normal response to being treated unfairly.  

Katherine ONeill

I can answer academic questions about psychology. I am not a clinician (therapist), I am a research psychologist with expertise in biopsychology, general psychology, cognitive psychology, research methods and psychopharmacology.

I have 25 years experience as a researcher in health behavior, biopsychology and psychopharmacology.

Healthcare Businesswomen's Association

Applications of Market Research for Small Business UMBC Activate Program, March 2008 HIV/AIDS: An assessment of Need in the Continuum of Care. Optum Health Education., 12/2008 Maximizing the online medium for market research: Best practices. Market Research for Pharmaceuticals Conference, 12/06/2006 O誰eill, K.A. APD, ADD, ADHD and AD/HD: Personal and scientific reflections. Audiology Online, 6/6/2005. O誰eill, K.A. et al, Hyperactivity induced by NMDA injections into the nucleus accumbens. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 34(4), Dec 1989, 739-745. O誰eill, K.A. and Liebman, J.M. Unique behavioral effects of the NMDA antagonist, CPP, upon injection into the medial prefrontal cortex of rats. Brain Research, 435(1-2), Dec 1987, 371-376. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centally administered H2 antagonists on motor activity. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 264, 1987, 683-686. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centrally administered H2 antagonists in the behavioral despair test. 90(2), 1986, 190-192. O誰eill, K.A. Chronic desipramine attenuates morphine analgesia. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 24(1), Jan 1986, 155 158. O誰eill, K.A. and Valentino, D. Escapability and generalization: Effect on 礎ehavioral despair. European Journal of Pharmacology 78(3), March 1982, 379-80. O誰eill, K.A. et al, An automated high capacity method for measuring jumping latencies on a hot plate. Journal of Pharmacological Methods, 10(1), Aug 1983, 13-18. O誰eill, K.A., Scott, C. and Weissman, A. Naloxone enhances nociceptive responding. Society for Neuroscience, Abstract 9: 274, 1983.

Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, University of Rhode Island, 1983. Post doctoral fellow dept of psychiatry, New York University Medical Center, 1983-1984. Post doctoral fellow, dept of pharmacology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1984-1985.