Psychology/Query re IQ tests

I had on a forum a discussion with someone else. I suggested that all IQ tests do is test how good you are at IQ tests(and that, to some extent, they test your education as well). This is because, depending on my past state of health/sobriety/age etc., I managed to score anywhere from 113 to 170 IQ points on the myriad IQ tests I used to score in the last 37 years. She suggested, however, that "Two-Story Structure IQ Tests" are, indeed, fully representative and accurate re human intelligence.I have googled this term and found nothing. Can you tell me what this actually means, and whether it is indeed a truly accurate way to measure intelligence. Thanks!

Geoffrey - I am not an expert on IQ tests.  However, I can tell you that there are many different IQ tests and they measure many different things - some of which are influenced by education.  I have never heard of a two story structure IQ test. Perhaps this person was referring to a 2 factor test?  The Stanford Binet and WISC - the 2 most commonly used IQ tests measure two sets of abilities - verbal and non-verbal.  Each loosely correlates with left brain function (verbal) and right brain function (non-verbal).  There are many problem solving abilities that are not related to educational experiences, and these likely are the basis of biological intelligence.

I suggest that you do some research on intelligence testing.

Katherine ONeill

I can answer academic questions about psychology. I am not a clinician (therapist), I am a research psychologist with expertise in biopsychology, general psychology, cognitive psychology, research methods and psychopharmacology.

I have 25 years experience as a researcher in health behavior, biopsychology and psychopharmacology.

Healthcare Businesswomen's Association

Applications of Market Research for Small Business UMBC Activate Program, March 2008 HIV/AIDS: An assessment of Need in the Continuum of Care. Optum Health Education., 12/2008 Maximizing the online medium for market research: Best practices. Market Research for Pharmaceuticals Conference, 12/06/2006 O誰eill, K.A. APD, ADD, ADHD and AD/HD: Personal and scientific reflections. Audiology Online, 6/6/2005. O誰eill, K.A. et al, Hyperactivity induced by NMDA injections into the nucleus accumbens. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 34(4), Dec 1989, 739-745. O誰eill, K.A. and Liebman, J.M. Unique behavioral effects of the NMDA antagonist, CPP, upon injection into the medial prefrontal cortex of rats. Brain Research, 435(1-2), Dec 1987, 371-376. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centally administered H2 antagonists on motor activity. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 264, 1987, 683-686. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centrally administered H2 antagonists in the behavioral despair test. 90(2), 1986, 190-192. O誰eill, K.A. Chronic desipramine attenuates morphine analgesia. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 24(1), Jan 1986, 155 158. O誰eill, K.A. and Valentino, D. Escapability and generalization: Effect on 礎ehavioral despair. European Journal of Pharmacology 78(3), March 1982, 379-80. O誰eill, K.A. et al, An automated high capacity method for measuring jumping latencies on a hot plate. Journal of Pharmacological Methods, 10(1), Aug 1983, 13-18. O誰eill, K.A., Scott, C. and Weissman, A. Naloxone enhances nociceptive responding. Society for Neuroscience, Abstract 9: 274, 1983.

Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, University of Rhode Island, 1983. Post doctoral fellow dept of psychiatry, New York University Medical Center, 1983-1984. Post doctoral fellow, dept of pharmacology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1984-1985.