Psychology/I am currently a junior in high school taking an AP Psych class and i need to interview someone in the psychology field as soon as possible

1. What is your educational background?
2. Where do you currently work?
3. What field of psychology do you practice?
4. Why did you choose that particular field?
5. Have you applied the study of a specific branch of psychology in your work? If so, how?
6. What theories within psychology do you find most frenquently in your position and why?
7. Can you give me specific examples on how you applied these theories and the outcomes?
8. What areas of your work do you find most rewarding?
9. What areas do you find least rewarding?
10. What advice would you give someone who might be considering the psychology as a possible career field?
11.  Are there any closing thoughts you would like to share?

I have a Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology, with a specialization in Biopsychology.  I currently teach at a state university.  I am not in a private practice.  I do some consulting for pharmaceutical companies as well as teach.  I chose this field because I am fascinated by the brain and behavior.  Earlier in my career, I conducted research on the brain's response to different types of stress.  Because I do not practice  clinical psychology, I do not apply any of the usual theories - Psychoanalytic, Behavioral, etc.  I have an eclectic approach to the work that I do.  I very much enjoy teaching, particularly teaching students about research methods in psychology and helping them to hone critical thinking skills. There is nothing in particular that I find "least rewarding".  Psychology is a broad area of study and I think it's a fascinating field.  There are a variety of careers in the field, and even if you go into a different career, the study of psychology will benefit you in all aspects of your personal and professional life.

Best of luck.

Katherine ONeill

I can answer academic questions about psychology. I am not a clinician (therapist), I am a research psychologist with expertise in biopsychology, general psychology, cognitive psychology, research methods and psychopharmacology.

I have 25 years experience as a researcher in health behavior, biopsychology and psychopharmacology.

Healthcare Businesswomen's Association

Applications of Market Research for Small Business UMBC Activate Program, March 2008 HIV/AIDS: An assessment of Need in the Continuum of Care. Optum Health Education., 12/2008 Maximizing the online medium for market research: Best practices. Market Research for Pharmaceuticals Conference, 12/06/2006 O誰eill, K.A. APD, ADD, ADHD and AD/HD: Personal and scientific reflections. Audiology Online, 6/6/2005. O誰eill, K.A. et al, Hyperactivity induced by NMDA injections into the nucleus accumbens. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 34(4), Dec 1989, 739-745. O誰eill, K.A. and Liebman, J.M. Unique behavioral effects of the NMDA antagonist, CPP, upon injection into the medial prefrontal cortex of rats. Brain Research, 435(1-2), Dec 1987, 371-376. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centally administered H2 antagonists on motor activity. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 264, 1987, 683-686. O誰eill, K.A. and Gertner, S.B. Effects of centrally administered H2 antagonists in the behavioral despair test. 90(2), 1986, 190-192. O誰eill, K.A. Chronic desipramine attenuates morphine analgesia. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 24(1), Jan 1986, 155 158. O誰eill, K.A. and Valentino, D. Escapability and generalization: Effect on 礎ehavioral despair. European Journal of Pharmacology 78(3), March 1982, 379-80. O誰eill, K.A. et al, An automated high capacity method for measuring jumping latencies on a hot plate. Journal of Pharmacological Methods, 10(1), Aug 1983, 13-18. O誰eill, K.A., Scott, C. and Weissman, A. Naloxone enhances nociceptive responding. Society for Neuroscience, Abstract 9: 274, 1983.

Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, University of Rhode Island, 1983. Post doctoral fellow dept of psychiatry, New York University Medical Center, 1983-1984. Post doctoral fellow, dept of pharmacology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1984-1985.