Puberty/very irregular period

Question
I am 18. I first got my period when I was 14, and from the beginning it was very irregular (skipping a few months, continuing for a whole month, that sort of thing). In the beginning I didn't worry much, but I read that that should sort itself out in two years and it's been 4. I was always a little thin and I've lost a little wight recently but I don't think that's the reason because it was never regular even before I lost the weight. is this something I should worry about?

Answer
Well nothing that you described sounds out of order so I don't think it is anything too serious but like you sad it usually sorts itself out in the first few years after you begin having your period. However this being said there are many factors that go into the regulation of your menstrual cycle. There is your age and your activity. The younger you are the more irregular it is. This is due to the fact that your body is developing so rapidly that regulating the time isn't your bodies biggest concern it is more concerned about keeping your developments from effecting you in a negative way.

There is really no set time where your menstrual cycle is supposed to become regular. There are many women who even in their twenties report having slightly irregular periods. So this isn't anything to be too concerned over or even worry about. It is just your genetics seem to have not yet started to regulate your periods.

Now there is one really good way to regulate your periods that serves a dual purpose. If you want to regulate your period consider getting on a birth control pill. This isn't because I think you are sexually active or whatever. It is simply a way to regulate your period. The way it does this is for three weeks you take the actual pill and then for one week you still take a pill but it is really a sugar pill. The real pill stops your menstrual cycle and then for that one week the medicine isn't there to stop it so you get your period. Now it also serves a second purpose of actual birth control so if you do become sexually active you already have that protection going for you.  

Puberty

Steven