Puberty/Masturbation

Question
Herrow! I'm a 12 year old female and I started to play with my vaginal area- well pay attention to it when my pubic hair started to grow. I was always scared to masturbate because well- so many reasons.
I thought:
-I might get pregnant
-I would get some disease
-I would get teased at school
-My parents would put me up for adoption
-Many more....
When I started paying attention to my vaginal area, my chest got bigger and I was freaking out. My mom showed me a puberty video and stuff. When I saw that, I was 11. I started "researching" all this stuff.... When I was 11, I didn't know what masturbation was. I just called it "giving sex to yourself". That is how I thought you could get pregnant. I searched 'how to' and 'what would happen' and it told me about masturbation.... Then it said you will NOT get pregnant, you will NOT get a disease..... Is this true? Plus I just masturbated today, and about 5-10 minutes after, it felt itchy. I stratched it, and it was no longer itchy. But then it started to burn. I rubbed gently, but it continued to burn. Did I do something wrong?
~H

Answer
Ok well first let me dispel any and all your myths of masturbation. First no masturbation will not get you pregnant. In order for you to get pregnant you first have to have sex and then the guy has to ejaculate (release his sperm) into your vaginal cavity. The sperm then has to travel up your vagina and meet with your egg and they have to fertilize. So unless your masturbating with sperm as your lube then no masturbation will not get you pregnant. As for the disease myth. Well you won't get any diseases that are solely transferred via sexual intercourse however if you are not clean when you masturbate like you haven't washed your hands the you run the risk of getting an infection. However as long as you take care to wash your hands and vaginal area prior to masturbation as well as after then you don't have to worry about getting a disease.

As for if you did something wrong. Any time your body tells you something hurts or stings that is a clue that you might be doing something you shouldn't. However the itching you felt may be your body saying what your doing feels good however the burning is much more concerning. Unfortunately I can't tell you what you might be doing wrong due to the fact that I don't know exactly what you did when it started to become uncomfortable.  

Puberty

Steven