Ahh..Tampons! Is it weird that i'm scared to use one?
Is it abnormal for a 16 year old girl to be scared to put in a tampon. I've tried a couple of times, I'm not sure why just putting stuff up their is kinda scary for me. I suppose i'm kind of unfamiliar with that whole area and I don't want to mess anything up..I may sound crazy but if you have any tips to get over it or should I just stick to pads? thanks

It's not so much weird as it is a personal preference. Many girls tend to just use pads for many reasons. The biggest one that is far from being true is "if I use a tampon I am not a virgin anymore" this is false because virginity is defined as having sexual relations with a man. The other big one that I hear a lot is it hurts to put in a tampon this may be due to inexperience and just not inserting it right and thus causing discomfort however if their hymen is still intact this can cause pain as you would have to tear the hymen in order to use a tampon. All of these reasons aside it is not unusual for girls to just decide to stick with pads

Dealing with periods for many girls is just one scary thing after another like bleeding every month and having to deal with side effects of periods as well as dealing with image issues etc. So being scared to put stuff in your vagina is not unusual at all. It is actually quite normal.

My advice is, you should become familiar with your body both physically and mentally. You probably winding how you can become familiar with your body mentally. Well if you do something wrong or something isn't done right your body often tells you by saying it is painful or discomforting. If your doing something right it will feel pleasurable and normal. So learn to listen to your body. The other thing is depending on your level of activity and how heavy your menstrual flow is I would see if you could just stick with pads. Pads are better in that you don't have a bloody tampon sitting inside you which could, although rare, lead to infections or other things.

I would be more then happy to help you learn more about your body and provide more personal answers to this or any other questions you may have via email if you would like. Feel free to email me at

All emails are private confidential and I will never judge or laugh at anything we discuss. I am only here to help you live life to the fullest without having to worry about anything. As well as provide an outlet for your questions you are too embarrassed to bring up with others.  

I can answer any type of questions relating to puberty, sex, or anything having to do with growing up. I can help you understand whatís going on with your body or why youíre feeling the way that you are. I can help you understand what it means to go through puberty and what to expect as you progress through it. I am a young so I have gone through the same stuff you are; so I can answer these questions better seeing as how I went through it myself. Even if you feel you are the only one who is feeling the way that you are feeling chances are you are not alone. Everyone goes through puberty and has had similar experiences to what you are having. I have been with All Experts for about a year and a half now in the teen problems category. I have a vast university library at my disposal; I have yet to find a question that I cannot find the answer to in my universityís library. If you prefer to talk one on one more privately please feel free to ask me to do so and I will be happy to chat with you via email or some other form or private messaging. I know that some questions and concerns are a little more personal then you want to allow to be public.

Seeing as how I was recently a teen I know what kinds of changes you are going through. Anything I do not know I will research it and find out for you. I have a vast university library at my disposal, which seems to have the answers to any question you may have. I am just a caring high school graduate and all I want to do is to help anyone and everyone that needs it. I always try to provide the best answers that I can, furthermore I will never judge you no matter what the question is so feel free to ask me anything. I am here to answer those questions you think are silly or too embarrassing. Sometimes those "silly" questions are some of the most important ones so please ask them all. I also will be happy to answer those questions you are too embarrassed to ask you parents or you feel they will get mad at you for asking. I will not set a private question to public and I will not tell anyone what you tell me. ALL information discussed in the private questions stays between you and me. However if you have a question chances are someone else in the world has that same exact question so keep your questions public unless you absolutely want it to be private either way I will help you out as much as you need it. I want to help you get any and all questions answered and I will not rest until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

I am a member if my local chapters of Golden Key and Sigma Alpha Pi both of which are honor societies who select students in the top ten percent of their class to join. I am also a member of the American Chemical Society.

I took AP anatomy as a junior and AP Chemistry as a senior. I will be working on a bachelors degree in chemistry at my local university. I just finished my fourth year of college with a 4.0 GPA. I have been listed on the College of Science Deanís List for me entire college career. I am always happy to sit down and work through those barriers we all face growing up and I want to make sure that you know whatís going on or what is about to happen. Growing up may be confusing but I will try to make these topics easier to understand.

I have been on the deans list for my college for my entire time in college and am currently holding a very high GPA.

I would never share the names or information of any of my past or current questioners that I help. All questioners who want to remain private will remain private.