Public Health/infections to visitors at hospitals

Question
Are nosocomial infections causing death to visitors at hospitals compensable?

Answer
I'm not an attorney and never attended law school.   

Here's the answer I'm guessing you'll get, if you ask an attorney.  "Probably not but it depends on the circumstances."

Assuming the sick person is still host for the bug and the bug can be isolated and there's enough to amplify  its DNA or RNA, then it can be matched to a suspected source.  Then there's the need to prove the material in the sick person came from that source, and not some other source.  Then you'd need to prove the institution was negligent.  This means either it didn't do something it should have done, or it did something it shouldn't have done and the "should" would come either from what the law requires or what can be determined from expert testimony.  

If it's you that got infected and you wanted to know if you have a case worth pursuing, see an attorney.  Don't waste your time, or the attorney's time, by walking into a free consultation without being prepared to answer the attorney's questions. This is best done by writing-up everything you can remember, so you don't forget something.  Then you'll be prepared as well as possible, to answer their questions.

Don't hesitate to talk to an attorney.  But if you're asked to pay a small fee up front to over costs like printed copies, transcription etc, then see someone else.   If you're asked to sign two different agreements, (for example, where one is used if you win and another is used if you don't win), leave the office with both agreements and contact the state Bar Association.  I've seen both of these tactics used.

Hope this helps.

Public Health

John Crout