You are here:

Public Health/alkaline phosphatase


"Dear sir
The result of alkaline phosphatase test is 4200 , I have some pain along my bones . I need a doctor who is specialist in my case in Egypt or Jordan or Israel or west bank because I live in Gaza and there are not any doctor know my case .
Thank you"

Hi Nadir,

My education and background are in veterinary medicine and human/animal epidemiology and pathology. I am not a medical doctor so I cannot diagnose your condition. I can offer you some insight and advice on what you need to do.

Alkaline phosphatase (ALP or ALKP) tests and levels are used to determine the cause of several conditions. These conditions are primarily associated with bones and with the liver. The result from your test is unclear as to unit of measurement so I cannot comment on whether or not it is out of the normal range for humans.

In liver disease or disorders, liver cells will become damaged and release alkaline phosphatase. This often results in high levels of ALP in the blood. In bone disease and disorders, ALP levels can be affected by bone growth or an increase in bone cell activity. Certain medications can also affect ALP levels.

There are a number of very good hospitals and specialists in the Middle East that would be able to address the health issues that you are experiencing. Here are two that are near you:

  Hadassah University Medical Center, Israel. There are two campuses in Jerusalem: Mt. Scopus and in Ein Kerem. There are 11 orthopedic (bone) specialists in residence.

  Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tikvah, Israel. There are 8 orthopedic specialists in residence.

  These hospitals also have specialists in all medical fields.

It is important that you see a physician as soon as possible in order to determine what condition you may or may not have. In your particular case and since you are in pain, you should address the problem with your personal physician or seek out specialists just as those listed above.

I hope this information helps and I wish the very best for you. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. Ann

Public Health

All Answers

Ask Experts


Ann Herring MacLeod-Lambert


Categories of questions would include: Epidemiology (Humans and Animals), Disease transmission, Zoonotic diseases (diseases transmitted from animals to humans), Epizootic diseases (epidemic diseases in animals), Enzootic diseases (endemic diseases in animals), Precautions to use to avoid disease transmission and infection, Standard diagnostic and treatment protocols in use for infectious diseases (humans and animals), Health implications, Biosecurity (humans, animals, products, facilities), Precautions and risks for travel, Food safety, Environmental health.


Over 25 years of experience in veterinary medicine and science. I have worked in veterinary practice, served 10 years as a state veterinary epidemiologist and pathologist (livestock, equine, food safety, biosecurity), performed wildlife disease research, worked as a consultant, and provided educational presentations and materials for organizations and individuals. My specialties are zoonotic, enzootic, and epizootic diseases.

Degrees in Veterinary Medical Science, Biology, and a PhD (ABD) in Public Health Epidemiology (Veterinary and Human).

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]