Public Health/alkaline phosphatase

Question
"Dear sir
The result of alkaline phosphatase test is 4200 , I have some pain along my bones . I need a doctor who is specialist in my case in Egypt or Jordan or Israel or west bank because I live in Gaza and there are not any doctor know my case .
Thank you"

Answer
Hi Nadir,

My education and background are in veterinary medicine and human/animal epidemiology and pathology. I am not a medical doctor so I cannot diagnose your condition. I can offer you some insight and advice on what you need to do.

Alkaline phosphatase (ALP or ALKP) tests and levels are used to determine the cause of several conditions. These conditions are primarily associated with bones and with the liver. The result from your test is unclear as to unit of measurement so I cannot comment on whether or not it is out of the normal range for humans.

In liver disease or disorders, liver cells will become damaged and release alkaline phosphatase. This often results in high levels of ALP in the blood. In bone disease and disorders, ALP levels can be affected by bone growth or an increase in bone cell activity. Certain medications can also affect ALP levels.

There are a number of very good hospitals and specialists in the Middle East that would be able to address the health issues that you are experiencing. Here are two that are near you:

Hadassah University Medical Center, Israel. There are two campuses in Jerusalem: Mt. Scopus and in Ein Kerem. There are 11 orthopedic (bone) specialists in residence.

Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tikvah, Israel. There are 8 orthopedic specialists in residence.

These hospitals also have specialists in all medical fields.

It is important that you see a physician as soon as possible in order to determine what condition you may or may not have. In your particular case and since you are in pain, you should address the problem with your personal physician or seek out specialists just as those listed above.

I hope this information helps and I wish the very best for you. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Cheers,
Dr. Ann

Public Health

Ann Herring MacLeod-Lambert