Public Health/good forms of exercise

QUESTION: hello, may i know the best forms of exercise in day to day life? would you say horseback riding and swimming are good forms of exercise?

ANSWER: Hi Rohit,

Thanks so much for your question. The best way to approach exercise is to do something that you enjoy and makes you feel good physically, mentally, and emotionally. If you have health issues or physical limitations, you should consult with your physician about what is best for you to do.

Horseback riding and swimming are excellent forms of exercise. Swimming is a wonderful activity, especially for people who have arthritis, are recovering from injuries, etc. because it eliminates impact on joints and keeps the individual from bearing full bodyweight during the process of exercising. This is due to the buoyancy of the water and makes swimming or therapy excellent choices for just about anyone. Horseback riding can give you a phenomenal workout, especially with certain disciplines such as dressage, jumping, eventing, or endurance. These disciplines offer an overall workout that incorporates the entire body so you get a cardiovascular and strength training regime all in one. It also helps tremendously with balance and core strength. Light trail riding can also be a good form of exercise but may not give as intense of a workout as the others.

The overall goal is to make your exercise routine enjoyable so that it becomes something that you look forward to doing instead of being the dreaded or boring part of the day. Vary your routines and activities and have fun while staying healthy.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance and I wish you all the best.

Dr. Ann

QUESTION: thanks for the answer. are push ups, pull ups good exercises for me? i am 24 year old boy standing around 5feet 6inches and weighing 67kgs.

Hi Rohit,

You are very welcome!

Push ups and pull ups can be very good for building upper body and core strength. There are variations to both of these that isolate and work different muscle groups. They are good to incorporate into a routine of overall cardiovascular and strength training. If you are already in good shape and used to working out then incorporate both of these into your training. If you are just starting out then you will want to go slowly at first and not overdo. Too much of a good thing in the beginning can lead to injury or at the very least can make you extremely sore. This is the case with most any exercise if you are a beginner.

The key to a successful exercise routine is variation. Do as many different types of exercise and movements as you can. Doing the same exercise over and over causes your muscles to develop “memory” and after a while the repetitions are no longer as effective or you reach a plateau. When you vary the way the muscles are used then they do not have time to develop “memory” and your workout will be more effective. This is why so many top athletes incorporate a myriad of routines and activities to their overall fitness programs.

I wish you all the best. Remember to have fun with what you are doing!

Dr. Ann  

Public Health

Ann Herring MacLeod-Lambert

Categories of questions would include: Epidemiology (Humans and Animals), Disease transmission, Zoonotic diseases (diseases transmitted from animals to humans), Epizootic diseases (epidemic diseases in animals), Enzootic diseases (endemic diseases in animals), Precautions to use to avoid disease transmission and infection, Standard diagnostic and treatment protocols in use for infectious diseases (humans and animals), Health implications, Biosecurity (humans, animals, products, facilities), Precautions and risks for travel, Food safety, Environmental health.

Over 25 years of experience in veterinary medicine and science. I have worked in veterinary practice, served 10 years as a state veterinary epidemiologist and pathologist (livestock, equine, food safety, biosecurity), performed wildlife disease research, worked as a consultant, and provided educational presentations and materials for organizations and individuals. My specialties are zoonotic, enzootic, and epizootic diseases.

Degrees in Veterinary Medical Science, Biology, and a PhD (ABD) in Public Health Epidemiology (Veterinary and Human).