Public Relations/Social Media & PR

Where do the two intersect?  Is social media a part of publicity in 2011?

Mary Ann McQueen Butcher, Managing Partner, Authentic PR
Mary Ann McQueen Butch  

Thanks for your question.  I get similar ones a lot these days.

Public Relations is one of traditional forms of marketing. It gets you in the editorial part of the media vs. paid advertising.  Social Media is relatively new -- about 5 years old.  The two together make an unbeatable combination if used properly.

A well written press release with a well thought out strategy will work well on its own if someone has a compelling topic, excellent writing skills, current media contacts and a speaker who can comment on the topic.  When you add social media marketing for business, (VERY different than the everyday use of friendly Facebook & Twitter postings), you have the opportunity to get mass coverage AND if it's a "hot topic", it takes on a viral effect.  People like to share information so they will likely repost, "like" and tell their friends & colleagues about your "news".

When using Facebook, the press release or media advisory should be posted as a note and one should tag appropriate media outlets as well as top influencers who are likely to pass this info on to others.  Use a short link to share on Twitter and don't forget to include LinkedIn and MerchantCircle (if appropriate).

If you would like additional information or a free consultation, please contact me at info[at]Authentic-PR[dot]com.

Mary Ann McQueen Butcher
Authentic PR

Public Relations

Mary Ann McQueen Butcher

Because of my almost 30 years of experience, I can answer questions on Public Relations Corporate Communications Crisis Management Community Relations Traditional Marketing Social Media Marketing Media Relations Product Launches Tradeshow Marketing Technology Marketing Entertainment Marketing Reputation Management & Repair Multicultural Marketing Media Planning

Mary Ann McQueen Butcher is one half of the team that runs Authentic PR. She has worked as a successful executive for four Fortune 500 companies, responsible for the sales & marketing for a dozen sales offices and multiple TV stations. Her experience is backed up by her undergraduate degree in Journalism and her MBA in International Marketing. Mary Annís 25+ year career has taken her from being a Network TV Executive to a serial entrepreneur who has successfully helped hundreds of companies of all sizes. Mary Ann has spent much of the last six years helping organizations learn how to make a splash without spending way too much cash! She has also successfully launched products nationally and globally for Intel (EyeOnMarket and Pentium), Cisco Systems (Linksys) and PepsiCo (Aquafina Alive, Diet Pepsi Max) and many more. Mary Ann lives in Huntington Beach and loves everything about Southern California.

Ladies Who Launch PRSA AMA Huntington Beach Chamber of Commerce

Many major newspapers and magazines in the US

MBA, NYU Stern School of Business, International Business with an emphasis in Marketing

Multiple sales and marketing awards from Intel, Cisco Systems, Pepsi and the Walt Disney Company.

Pepsi Cadillac Ranch (Restaurant) A Leg Up Rescue 7-Eleven McDonald's Corporate Westfield Shopping Malls Tony n Tina's Wedding King Ranch Market and many, many more