Public Relations/where to start

I am interested in a public relations job. However, I am not quite confident that I would exceed if I jumped into one. I have great communication skills and creative ideas. I also, love to research material of any matter and create a presentation for it. However,  I dont think that I could write reports for the press as of yet. I have a high school diploma and some college training. Where could I start concerning a public relations job or a job in that vicinity?  Thank you for your response.

Hello Tara,

Thank you for your note.  I apologize for the delay as I did not receive it until just this morning.

The reality of being a successful public relations professional takes more than most people think.  I am happy to share with you what I think it takes to increase the probability of you doing well in the industry:

*Naturally good writing skills -- If writing is something you have to force yourself to do, this is likely not the best type of work for you.  That was taught to me by a professor at NYU.

*Speaking of school.  You must get your college degree in either Journalism, English, Public Relations or a similar discipline.  Most firms won't consider you without your degree.  While you are at school, you should also try and work at the school newspaper to hone your writing skills.

*Internships:  Even before you get your degree, try and and get an internship in your area.  It will put applicable experience on your resume.

*The creative part of the writing comes after you have mastered the skills of "telling a story".  In public relations, you must collaborate with your client and then give it the right spin so reporters and the media will be interested in what you have written.

This should help you get started.  Good luck.   Get your education, subscribe to some of the top PR sites like O'Dwyers and stay in touch.

Best wishes,

Mary Ann McQueen Butcher

Public Relations

Mary Ann McQueen Butcher

Because of my almost 30 years of experience, I can answer questions on Public Relations Corporate Communications Crisis Management Community Relations Traditional Marketing Social Media Marketing Media Relations Product Launches Tradeshow Marketing Technology Marketing Entertainment Marketing Reputation Management & Repair Multicultural Marketing Media Planning

Mary Ann McQueen Butcher is one half of the team that runs Authentic PR. She has worked as a successful executive for four Fortune 500 companies, responsible for the sales & marketing for a dozen sales offices and multiple TV stations. Her experience is backed up by her undergraduate degree in Journalism and her MBA in International Marketing. Mary Annís 25+ year career has taken her from being a Network TV Executive to a serial entrepreneur who has successfully helped hundreds of companies of all sizes. Mary Ann has spent much of the last six years helping organizations learn how to make a splash without spending way too much cash! She has also successfully launched products nationally and globally for Intel (EyeOnMarket and Pentium), Cisco Systems (Linksys) and PepsiCo (Aquafina Alive, Diet Pepsi Max) and many more. Mary Ann lives in Huntington Beach and loves everything about Southern California.

Ladies Who Launch PRSA AMA Huntington Beach Chamber of Commerce

Many major newspapers and magazines in the US

MBA, NYU Stern School of Business, International Business with an emphasis in Marketing

Multiple sales and marketing awards from Intel, Cisco Systems, Pepsi and the Walt Disney Company.

Pepsi Cadillac Ranch (Restaurant) A Leg Up Rescue 7-Eleven McDonald's Corporate Westfield Shopping Malls Tony n Tina's Wedding King Ranch Market and many, many more