Public Relations/Riding the PR Wave

Hello Mary Ann,

How do I ride the Wave from National Print to National Television/Radio?

Our business, Move Baby, Move! is the 2012 grand prize winner of the Generations of Wellness®BE Healthy Challenge, a collaboration between United Healthcare and Black Enterprise Magazine. As the winner, Move Baby, Move! will be featured in a UnitedHealthcare ad in the November 2012 issue of Black Enterprise as well as on their website.  In addition to the recognition, a representative from Move Baby, Move! will attend the 2013 Black Enterprise Entrepreneurs Conference in Columbus, Ohio.
Please see…

Move Baby, Move! is a 2009 American Diabetes Association Promising Practice and 2010 Texas Department of State Health Services Cardiovascular Health Promotion Award Winner. The program also received a 2010 Honorable Mention by the Texas Council on Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke. Move Baby, Move! was featured on “Get Healthy Texas” CBS TV-11 in July 2010 and won the 2011 NANBPWC Dallas Business of the Year.

My business partner, Meranda, and I have worked tirelessly to help thousands enjoy increased quality and quantity of life. This award will provide the opportunity for us to help millions. Sadly, Meranda lost her battle with pancreatic cancer on August 20, 2012 at 2:25pm – I received the call that we had won at 3:45pm. Although she had passed I was able to whisper into her ear that we had won. I must carry on!

I would like to take advantage of the national publicity by approaching/writing the producers of national television/radio programs to get our message out to a greater audience. Please let me know:
1. To whom should I write?
2. What should I say?
3. How should I say it?
4. What is the preferred format? (email, snail mail, fax)
5.  When should I begin? (After the Nov. ’12 article or before)

Thanks so much,,

Aaron Palmer
Move Baby, Move!

Thanks for your question.  I went to your site to research the organization before I answered.

There is no template response.  Every news organization is different.  Some want you to call.  Some won't take calls.  Some want emails with no attachments.  Some want faxes.  It's why most people hire a professional.

You should write from your heart and then go to the various sites that explain "how to" write a press release or media advisory.

I always release good news on a Monday or Tuesday.  With your November 12 date being a Monday, I would start preparing now with a release going out that day.  You should also plan to use a press release distribution service like PRWeb, PRNewswire or some of the free ones out there.  Be sure to follow up on every email that goes out.

Best wishes.

Mary Ann

Public Relations

Mary Ann McQueen Butcher

Because of my almost 30 years of experience, I can answer questions on Public Relations Corporate Communications Crisis Management Community Relations Traditional Marketing Social Media Marketing Media Relations Product Launches Tradeshow Marketing Technology Marketing Entertainment Marketing Reputation Management & Repair Multicultural Marketing Media Planning

Mary Ann McQueen Butcher is one half of the team that runs Authentic PR. She has worked as a successful executive for four Fortune 500 companies, responsible for the sales & marketing for a dozen sales offices and multiple TV stations. Her experience is backed up by her undergraduate degree in Journalism and her MBA in International Marketing. Mary Ann’s 25+ year career has taken her from being a Network TV Executive to a serial entrepreneur who has successfully helped hundreds of companies of all sizes. Mary Ann has spent much of the last six years helping organizations learn how to make a splash without spending way too much cash! She has also successfully launched products nationally and globally for Intel (EyeOnMarket and Pentium), Cisco Systems (Linksys) and PepsiCo (Aquafina Alive, Diet Pepsi Max) and many more. Mary Ann lives in Huntington Beach and loves everything about Southern California.

Ladies Who Launch PRSA AMA Huntington Beach Chamber of Commerce

Many major newspapers and magazines in the US

MBA, NYU Stern School of Business, International Business with an emphasis in Marketing

Multiple sales and marketing awards from Intel, Cisco Systems, Pepsi and the Walt Disney Company.

Pepsi Cadillac Ranch (Restaurant) A Leg Up Rescue 7-Eleven McDonald's Corporate Westfield Shopping Malls Tony n Tina's Wedding King Ranch Market and many, many more