Public Relations/Riding the PR Wave

Question
Hello Susan,

How do I ride the Wave from National Print to National Television/Radio?

Our business, Move Baby, Move! is the 2012 grand prize winner of the Generations of Wellness®BE Healthy Challenge, a collaboration between United Healthcare and Black Enterprise Magazine. As the winner, Move Baby, Move! will be featured in a UnitedHealthcare ad in the November 2012 issue of Black Enterprise as well as on their website.  In addition to the recognition, a representative from Move Baby, Move! will attend the 2013 Black Enterprise Entrepreneurs Conference in Columbus, Ohio.
Please see… https://www.uhctogether.com/BeHealthy/index.html?siteId=10492

Move Baby, Move! is a 2009 American Diabetes Association Promising Practice and 2010 Texas Department of State Health Services Cardiovascular Health Promotion Award Winner. The program also received a 2010 Honorable Mention by the Texas Council on Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke. Move Baby, Move! was featured on “Get Healthy Texas” CBS TV-11 in July 2010 and won the 2011 NANBPWC Dallas Business of the Year.

My business partner, Meranda, and I have worked tirelessly to help thousands enjoy increased quality and quantity of life. This award will provide the opportunity for us to help millions. Sadly, Meranda lost her battle with pancreatic cancer on August 20, 2012 at 2:25pm – I received the call that we had won at 3:45pm. Although she had passed I was able to whisper into her ear that we had won. I must carry on!

I would like to take advantage of the national publicity by approaching/writing the producers of national television/radio programs to get our message out to a greater audience. Please let me know:
1. To whom should I write?
2. What should I say?
3. How should I say it?
4. What is the preferred format? (email, snail mail, fax)
5.  When should I begin? (After the Nov. ’12 article or before)

Thanks so much,,

Aaron Palmer
Principal
Move Baby, Move!
www.movebabymove.com

Answer
Excellent question & good timing for planning.

Congratulations on your win of the 2012 grand prize winner of the Generations of Wellness®BE Healthy Challenge, a collaboration between United Healthcare and Black Enterprise Magazine.

Great idea to approach producers of national television/radio programs to get your message out to a greater audience.
1. To whom should I write? A media directory of radio and television will give you the largest possible list of broadcast outlets to target. You should also search online for bloggers and you tube profiles, etc. targeted to your key demographics:  health + black enterprise.

2. What should I say?
You can develop a primary message related to your award and combine that with a fact sheet showing your collective success metrics, your bio and company profile, but also include individual success stories and testimonials. It sounds like your partner has a compelling human interest story and would appeal to individuals battling cancer too. I am so sorry to hear that she lost her fight, but her success in helping others may be an inspiration to others too.

Broadcast is interested in how you'd interview, so if you don't already have an online video on your website or other sites, you should develop one and post it.

3. How should I say it? Informative, honest, personal interest and accessible. Focusing on how success has come from helping others has universal appeal.

The quickest method is email and the best way to contact is through a personal contact (person's name). You could spend a lot of time just finding the right person to talk to. A simple email with no attachments is the cleanest way to inform the media. Focusing on a few target broadcast outlets, you should follow up with links, a short video clip and any recommendations, testimonials, etc.

Start now - if you have to wait to "announce" your award win until the article in November, it seems you could start "warming up" broadcast contacts starting now.

Public Relations

Susan Suggs, APR