Public Relations/Public Relations

Question
Hello Linda,
I currently live in Los Angeles and would like to pursue a degree as a publicist that represents entertainers, non profit organizations and other organizations as well. I do have a little background, some good connections, as well as some artists I have been working with. The only problem is that I am 27,I do not have a degree and it is not an option for me right now. If I become an apprentice for a publicist will not having a degree matter?

Answer
If you can get an apprenticeship w/out a degree, then the degree in a sense, doesn't matter. It is the job that matters not the B.A., Ph.D., or M.A. after your name. That being said, however, most public relations professionals today have a college degree(s). It is expected. The career requires a skill set that must be proven and tested in some demonstrable way. An option for you may be to seek Accreditation through the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) which is an excellent organization. Here is a link to find out more.

http://www.prsa.org/Learning/Accreditation

You say that a degree is not an option right now, but there are so many diverse programs available. Have you looked into atleast taking classes that support your goals such as InDesign at the art school or similar?

Best of luck in your endeavors! Linda  

Public Relations

Linda Hamburger