Public Relations/Public relations

I want to break into public relations. I have hotel, teaching, and sales experience. Will my resume get my foot in the door?

TODD W. Johnson
3251 NW Eagle Dr.
Phoenix, AZ 85225

Des Moines Public Schools, Des Moines, IA 11/07 - 7/13
Pinellas Park Middle School, St. Petersburg, FL
Pinellas County Schools, St. Petersburg, FL

Developed innovative curriculum to instruct students
Managed classroom of +40 students
Implemented high-level lesson plans
Launched a Wellness Committee to improve healthy lifestyles
Established positive relationships with students, parents and colleagues

Bellman / Concierge     
Bayfront Hilton Hotel, St. Petersburg, FL 9/94  - 11/07
Hotel Edgewater, Seattle, WA
Sunburst Hotel, Scottsdale, AZ
Tempe Mission Palms Hotel, AZ
Greeted guests in a friendly manner
Increased hotel productivity by providing team support
Streamlined guest service system
Proficient in OnQ, Microsoft Word, Office, XP, 7, Vista, Powerpoint, Outlook, Excel,
Handled as many as +200 customer contacts a day

Sales Professional       
Suntasia Marketing, St. Petersburg, FL 06/02 - 11/03

Increased territory sales from less than $2 million to $4.2 million within two years
Generated qualified sales leads and appointments for new business
Added new customers while maintaining premium service with existing account
Exceeded quotas by 12% in 2002 and 15% in 2003

Bachelor of Arts in Social Science
University of South Florida, 2005

Associates of Arts in Psychology
Daytona Beach Community College, 1993

Thanks for the questions.
You have impressive credentials which translates into people skills so necessary in
public relations.
First off there are many aspects of PR. Writing for a PR firm. A Director of Communications for
a firm or corporation. A government spokesperson, et al.
You should  first ask yourself where do you want your career to evolve? Do you want to
stay in academia or switch over to the corporate, philanthropic, government, etc.?

Once that goal is determined then advance to some basic PR. Take a PR course with
your local community college or university. You will be required to write, write, write in
most jobs so I assume with your teaching background that is not a problem. Still, you
will need to show a future employer that you have had some professional input from a PR course.
A full service advertising and PR agency will definitely check to see if you have had any
PR training.
Once you have completed the course start slowly, perhaps where you teach. Ask if you can
assist with any PR releases. Or intern at a PR firm.
Once you get some basic experience then check the Internet for any PR jobs available. Then
go for it.
Good Luck!

Public Relations

Jerry Plantz

PR for businesses which in acquiring free media publicity, via press releases, etc. Further, I can assist businesses which need damage control as I have more than 35 years spanning all phases of communications (broadcast, print, wire service and internet) I have even written a manual on media advocacy and I conduct seminars . Additional expertise in show business as I was a personal manager and had one of the largest booking agencies in the Midwest. I was also Kansas City`s first executive news producer and it`s first TV entertainment editor. I now specialize in public relations and business consulting. I am an expert consultant on three other Internet consulting sites.

An award winning TV news producer and reporter. Owner of my own public relations and advertising agency. More than 40 years in communications spanning broadcast, print and now the Internet. I have taught many journalism interns and have been a path-finder in television news productions. I once was a publisher and writer for several magazines and had my own local shows on TV and radiio. I was past president of a chamber of commerce.