Public Relations/PR

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

Do websites like PRWeb actually work?  Do companies actually get publicity from these sites, or do just some get publicity?

I was thinking of a campaign where I asked people to submit pics on Instagram, to become the face of my soon to be website (once it is actually up).

I also wondered if after asking for submissions, I post the "contest" as PR on PRWeb.

What are your thoughts?

ANSWER: Hello -

Good question. PR Web is a distribution tool that can help with reaching media outlets. It doesn't produce the same results for all.

If your contest will be on Instagram, any promotion, sharing and posting on Instagram and other social channels will be great PR for the contest and website. You will want to time your press release when it will give your website and contest the most coverage and impact.

You might consider the launch/unveiling of your site as the press release with the contest entries part of it. Depending on the scope of your contest, you may want to create a media list that targets your audience - which will give you a smaller media list than prweb, but much more targeted to your audience.

QUESTION: Excellent idea.  Thank you so much.  You said:

"Depending on the scope of your contest, you may want to create a media list that targets your audience - which will give you a smaller media list than prweb, but much more targeted to your audience."

Do you mean create a media list myself, or use PR web because they have the ability to target/select media relevant to my needs?

Also, I am going to find your website to discuss how much it would cost to hire you to help give me some guidance since that was a great idea. Hopefully I could afford a small consultation.

Thank you

Answer
Hello -

For media list, you could do either a list yourself or PRweb. What I often do is incorporate both. Use a media tool like PR to send out to a general list and develop my own top 10 or 20 outlets I want to target and do the research to find a contact there or channel (social or website) that I can pitch the story.

I am glad the ideas make sense and sound like something you will incorporate.

Good luck to you in your venture,

Thank you.

Public Relations

Susan Suggs, APR