Getting Published or E-published/publishing my first book

Question
hi Patrick!

I'm a newbie in book writing and publishing.
I've contacted a number of publishers to get some idea of what costs are involved, royalties, etc. and my share.

The book's title is "Advanced Topics in Microsoft Word 2007 and Microsoft Word 2010". I already have an ISBN number and Bar Code.

My question: one publisher, replying and asking for more info about my book, advised me that I need Microsoft's permission to use the Microsoft name in the title.

What is your opinion on this point?

Thanks,
Harry

I look forward to your reply.

Answer
Harry -- This is outside my expertise, as I'm not a trademark attorney. My guess would be that Microsoft is very proprietary, and you'd need clearance from them for use of their trademarks anywhere in the book, including the text. At the very least, I'd get a specific opinion from an attorney who knows the field.

best wishes,
D. Patrick Miller
Publisher, Fearless Books
www.fearlessbooks.com  

Getting Published or E-published

D. Patrick Miller