Getting Published or E-published/publishing my first book

hi Patrick!

I'm a newbie in book writing and publishing.
I've contacted a number of publishers to get some idea of what costs are involved, royalties, etc. and my share.

The book's title is "Advanced Topics in Microsoft Word 2007 and Microsoft Word 2010". I already have an ISBN number and Bar Code.

My question: one publisher, replying and asking for more info about my book, advised me that I need Microsoft's permission to use the Microsoft name in the title.

What is your opinion on this point?

I look forward to your reply.

Harry -- This is outside my expertise, as I'm not a trademark attorney. My guess would be that Microsoft is very proprietary, and you'd need clearance from them for use of their trademarks anywhere in the book, including the text. At the very least, I'd get a specific opinion from an attorney who knows the field.

best wishes,
D. Patrick Miller
Publisher, Fearless Books  

Getting Published or E-published

D. Patrick Miller

I am an independent self-publisher who sold three projects to major New York houses before starting my own company. I provide editorial services to a major literary agency in Manhattan and work regularly with authors at all levels of expertise. I can answer questions like these: What does "independent publishing" mean? Should I publish myself or use a service like XLibris? What is "print on demand" publishing? How do I publish myself on the Web? What are the best resources for learning about publishing? How do I find a literary agent? What are my chances of getting published by a major New York firm?

Past/Present clients
Professional literary resume available on request