Getting Published or E-published/book forward

Question
Cathy:
Who is it that decideds who writes a "forward" section to someones book?  Does the author?  What if the author is dead?
Thank you for any information.

Answer
Hi, Leah!

Not every book has a forward. But if a publisher decides the book needs one to either introduce the author or the book, it can be written either by the author or another person. Often a foreward is written by another author in the same genre that readers will recognize, or whose favorable description will make a reader pick up the new author.

The author being dead is a different issue. Intellectual property rights in a book don't necessarily transfer by probate of the person's Last Will unless actually mentioned in the text. So the deceased's executor, and maybe not even a child/heir, necessarily has the right to publish after the person dies. I would strongly suggest whoever wants to publish the book talks to the attorney who did the probate to find out if publishing is legal in that state/country. If there was no probate, definitely check with an attorney before going forward. Pretty much every contract out there, even with the self-publishing companies, has a requirement that the person signing the contract has the right to do so.

Good luck. I hope it works out.

Cathy

Getting Published or E-published

Cathy Clamp