Getting Published or E-published/selling a book at Barnes and Noble

Question
QUESTION: hi Rik, pleased to meet you!

I want to sell a book at Barnes and Noble, in their store and on-line.
Right now, I have a simple question. How do I provide copies of the book to B&N?
I'm hoping to get an answer from you because their site is overloaded with information.

#1-Do I supply the copies as the orders materialize, or does Barnes and Noble print the copies after I send them my original one?

Thanks, Chris

ANSWER: Hi Chris,

If you are looking to get a book into any bookstore your book would have to be returnable and in today's world you would likely need a distributor.

My understanding is that bookstores prefer the ease of one-stop shopping through a distributor rather than buying through several independent authors.

All of the above may not be true for independent book stores in your neighborhood who may be willing to take some books on consignment. If the sell, you get paid. If not, you come in and pick them up.

Again, many independent booksellers may have "Local Author" shelves they may be willing to put your book on. Call and find out when a manager of the store is going to be on duty and show up with some of your books and see if he/she is interested.

Juts make sure you are offering the book at a price point that is advantageous to you and the bookstore. Typically, stores want at least 50% discount off the retail price.

Good Luck!

RIK Feeney

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply.

You answered the bookstore side of the picture. Can you address the
on-line side, whether it be B&N or Amazon?
Namely, do I send the manuscript, unbound, to the seller who prints
and binds copies when ordered on-line, then when the customer orders a book, does the seller ship the book, or is it up to me to print and bind, then package and mail the book to the customer?

Thanks for your reply.

Chris

Answer
Hi Chris,

You wrote, "Namely, do I send the manuscript, unbound, to the seller who prints
and binds copies when ordered on-line, then when the customer orders a book, does the seller ship the book, or is it up to me to print and bind, then package and mail the book to the customer?"

You would need to set your book up with some type of print services company like Lightning Source who will supply the book to the online vendor or you can set the book up at a print-on-demand company like Amazon's CreateSpace or another company called Booklocker.com.

Each of these options would get your book automatically listed on several online booksellers where a consumer can order the book, then the online seller has the book printed and shipped to the customer and sends a royalty payment to your bank account.

This is a simplified version of what happens. Once you have the book set up with a print services company or a POD company your biggest focus will be on continuous marketing of the book.

Rik Feeney
www.PublishingSuccessOnline.com

Getting Published or E-published

Rik Feeney