Getting Published or E-published/ISBNs

Question
Hi Mrs. Clamp,

I am a self-published author through CreateSpace and my book's ISBN was assigned to me by CreateSpace, but I would like to also publish my book through LightningSource as I have read about the advantages it has (esp. the "returnable books" feature through IngramSpark). When I try to do this, however, I get an error message saying the ISBN is already in use on the Ingram database.

I turned off CreateSpace's expanded distribution feature two days ago hoping this would "unlist" my ISBN from the Ingram database, but I still get the same message. Does this mean I have to buy a new ISBN if I want to publish it on both platforms? ...Or would 2 ISBNs for one book confuse customers?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best regards,
Juliette Rogasik

Answer
Hi, Juliette!

Sorry for the delay in responding. My email went down for a while and I'm just catching up on the backlog.  Something that a lot of self-published authors don't realize is that when an ISB number is assigned, it belongs not to the book or to the author, but to the publisher. Part of the construction of how the number is created defines the publisher. So Createspace is different from Lightning Source in the same way that Macmillan is different from Random House. A book can't carry a number from one place to another.

So yes, a book on two different platforms would need two different numbers; and, in fact, different formats need different numbers. An ebook should have a different number from a paperback, and from a trade paperback, and a hardback.

If you want to read more about how ISBNs work, I actually have an article on my website about it. Go to http//www.catadams.net, click on "Craft" and "Cathy Teaches Writing." It's articles 9 and 10

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Cathy

Getting Published or E-published

Cathy Clamp