Getting Published or E-published/Book (3 questions)

Question
I'm interested in publishing a book, although not really sure where to start. I suppose I have several questions here:

1) How long is the minimum length required to publish a book? I've heard that too short is no good. It's difficult to fit titles on thinner spines. However, I find myself with very little to write about. I've never been good at meeting word counts.

2) How difficult is it to get published? I was an English major in college. A professor told me that the field is highly competitive. The best authors have agents. For this reason alone, many English/English Lit majors choose to teach or pursue other paths instead.

3) Finally, what are the best ways of getting the word out? I do want to write a book. But I also want it to become known.

Thanks in advance!

Answer
Esther,

The best place to start is by deciding how you want to be published. Traditional publishing. Print on demand. Independent publishing. Do you want to start with a paperback or an ebook?

The key to length is to cover the subject thoroughly without beating a dead horse. If that takes twenty pages or one hundred pages then that is the length of your book. The key is to keep reader interest throughout.

Traditional publishing can be as difficult today as it has been in the past, however, the big publishers seem to be losing ground swiftly to independent publishers. Many authors are publishing on Kindle now and experiencing a modicum of success.

If I knew the best ways to get the word out I would likely be a billionaire. Marketing is unique to your book, your genre, your writing style, your cover, your title, and your price. You need to constantly test all these factors to determine the best marketing method for your book.

Sorry, but the information you require would take up several books worth of space for an adequate response.

Rik Feeney

Getting Published or E-published

Rik Feeney