Getting Published or E-published/International Agent/Publisher

Question
Ms Clamp

I am from Malaysia and in the midst of looking for potential literary agent and publisher for my first-novel. The thing is Malaysia is barely in the development stage of this industry. At the moment, there is only one major literary agent and another that doesn't even have its own website/blog/webpage.

As for publishing company, is limited as well. Most companies cater to non-fiction, autobiographies, school books and children picture books whereas my novel is superfiction young adult novel. At the moment there are only 2 publisher that I know of that "might" read my manuscript - a young modern company that focused on urban fiction and a very vague company with no specific genre other than young adult fiction.

So I would like to know is it possible to source international agent or publisher and if so how do I got about it? I am more curious whether do publisher even consider international writers since if they do want me, getting a contract deal would be troublesome even in the internet years.

I hope you are the right expert for this question and thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

PS: I am aware of self publishing but would prefer to get my first book through traditional publishing as I am still new to the publishing industry.

Answer
Hi, Jeffrey!

The great thing about today's world is that it really doesn't matter where the author is located. Email takes care of most everything and many publishers have gone "green" with no paper ever changing hands. Agents have gone green too, as a result. There are any number of agents who accept email queries in the YA genre. You can look around at Agent Query (http://www.agent.query.com ) where you can hunt by genre. There are also some great tips for writing a good query letter, which is the first step to finding an agent. Another great site to find an agent is QueryTracker. (http://www.querytracker.com ) The great thing about this site is you can search for who represents authors you already like, and where  you believe your books would be targeted to the same readers.

If English isn't your first language, and you're worried about approaching the American or UK market without having some help, there are some great writer web forums where you can meet other authors that will help you get the manuscript in order. Give AbsoluteWrite a try. (Http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums ) They have a great "International District" with over 50,000 members from all over the world, including those who write primarily in a different language.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Cathy

Getting Published or E-published

Cathy Clamp