Getting Published or E-published/Blog for books...

Question
Hi Rik,

I'm an aspiring author of children's and picture books. Recently, I've come to be interested in ecological political action; that is, stopping the slaughter of dolphins and generally promoting oceanic conservation.

I've been reading a blog that is collecting donations in order to produce a documentary about saving dolphins. My question is: how can I go about starting my own blog that leads to collecting donations for a self-published picture book about dolphin conservation?

I'd like to collect donations for funding a series of picture books related to oceanic conservation. These funds would allow me to self-publish, produce, distribute, and promote/market the book(s) as they are written and released. My goal is to divert approximately 25-50% of donations for the cause of spreading awareness to children through this series of books; the remaining funds will be used for site upkeep, expenses, etc.

While I'm internet-savvy, I've never blogged. Can you please show the right direction and how to get started? Should I begin a charity/org first, before starting the blog? And once it's created, how can I go about distributing/marketing the books on the internet?

Thanks Rik,
Bobby

Answer
Hi Bobby,

The answer to this is actually more detailed than I have time or space for in this reply.

My first suggestion is that you google "crowdfunding." It will likely come up with sites like Kickstarter.com and others where you can post a project to receive complete funding.

You can also open an account at Paypal where you can place a button on your site for "Donations."

I hope this little bit helps.

Rik Feeney

Getting Published or E-published

Rik Feeney