Getting Published or E-published/I hope you can help me

Question
What do I look for in an editor? I reached out to a woman who does editing on the side (she's a friend of a friend) and she totally dropped the ball. She missed her deadline and even when she gets back with me on notes I'm not seeing anything past page 15. My novel manuscript is 292 pages!

This is my first book. I'm aiming to publish this year. I really have no idea where to go with this. I don't know where to look and I definitely don't know what to look for. I found a website of a guy who claims to be the first editor for a legendary novelist, but how do I know? If I'm going to fork out the type of money to get my manuscript edited I want to know if my money's going in the right place.

I hope you can shed some light on this because I'm kind of lost here.

Answer
Hi, Ryan!

Mostly how you know is to check their credentials. Most of the professional editors I know are more than happy to give you a client list. Often it's right on their website. Check to be sure what they edit is what you write. For example, one editor friend of mine puts the covers of the books she's edited right on the page. P.N. Elrod is one of the best in SF/F editing. http://www.vampwriter.com/VAMPWRITER_EDITING.htm

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and then go look at the books they reference. Is there a notation in the dedication to the editor? Authors often do that (I do.) Do you like how the book was edited? Is the published product something you would be proud of?

Also be certain you're familiar with the terminology of the editing world, so you're not disappointed by what they do for the money.  Here's a link to a list I wrote of the different forms of editing there are. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9250200&postcount=13. I also highly recommend the site, AbsoluteWrite, to learn a ton about the business. Here's the main oage: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums

Hope that helps a little! Good luck!

Cathy

Getting Published or E-published

Cathy Clamp