Puerto Rico/Percentages when surviving mother and children with no will

My father died last year leaving behind a piece of land with no will. He died with a wife and 2 children - our mother me and my sister. The land is not occupied by any of us or anyone else. Should the property be divided 3 ways equally? Half for my mother and half for me and my sister? Or any other way. Naturally, in terms of the law. Thanks.

Dear Mike:

My condolences on your father passing away.  I hope you are all doing well nevertheless.

1/2 of the property belongs to your mother, assuming her name is on the title.  The other 1/2 goes into the estate and should be divided equally between you and your sister, absent any special circumstances which could only be evaluated by a lawyer you engage to handle the estate.

Please note that your mother, as the surviving spouse, has some specific rights which encumbered all assets.  You should seek advise accordingly.

I hope this information was helpful.  If you need more information, you may want to watch some of my videos on the subject of inheritance located at which you may watch for free.

Santiago F. Lampón

Puerto Rico

Santiago F. Lampón

Real Estate, Inheritance, Notary, Corporate and Contract Law in Puerto Rico. Purchasing and selling real estate in Puerto Rico, including the use of powers of attorney as required. The difference between being a notary in Puerto Rico when compared to the commonly known functions of notaries in the US and other countries. Fully bilingual (English and Spanish).

Have been practicing law for 22 years. Main area of practice is Real Estate and Inheritance Law issues, also working with Corporate Law aspects associated with executing real estate transactions in Puerto Rico. Mainly working with non-residents of Puerto Rico helping them handle their real estate transactions in Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico Bar Association

Admitted to practice in Puerto Rico by the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico. Also admitted to the United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico.

Law School Honor Graduate (Magna Cum Laude); Law Review Editor-in-Chief; Various recognition while in private practice; active participant in social betterment activities.