Puerto Rico/PR power of attorney and health form

My elderly aunt has reached out to my brother and I for help. She is sick and currently in the hospital and wishes for my brother to handle All of her finances and any health care decisions. We plan to travel from NY to PR later this month. What form can we have ready. She wants to pay her rent which is due but the monies are in the bank. We want to help out s much as we can. Thank you.

Hello and than you for posting your question, and for the opportunity to help.

In Puerto Rico, under our system of law, "form" powers of attorney are not welcomed.  Moreover, taking into consideration your particular circumstances, you will need to hire a notary to formalize the document.  It is inevitable.

I recommend that you stay away from using any forms, that you hire a notary and that this notary help you achieve what you certainly need to help your relative.

Santiago F. Lampón

Puerto Rico

Santiago F. Lampón

Real Estate, Inheritance, Notary, Corporate and Contract Law in Puerto Rico. Purchasing and selling real estate in Puerto Rico, including the use of powers of attorney as required. The difference between being a notary in Puerto Rico when compared to the commonly known functions of notaries in the US and other countries. Fully bilingual (English and Spanish).

Have been practicing law for 22 years. Main area of practice is Real Estate and Inheritance Law issues, also working with Corporate Law aspects associated with executing real estate transactions in Puerto Rico. Mainly working with non-residents of Puerto Rico helping them handle their real estate transactions in Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico Bar Association

Admitted to practice in Puerto Rico by the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico. Also admitted to the United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico.

Law School Honor Graduate (Magna Cum Laude); Law Review Editor-in-Chief; Various recognition while in private practice; active participant in social betterment activities.