Pugs/pug who play bites; bite Inhibition ;

Hi!  In November, we adopted a pug through a local rescue group.  He had been pretty much allowed to run wild and wasn't well trained at all (they didn't even feed their dogs from bowls - they just put piles of food on the floor!)  Our pug boy is now much more well adjusted, crate trained, eats from a dish, is a snuggle-monster.  The question is this... he is 15 months old, and he is very mouthy.  Likes to nibble on our hands, and when he gets excited, he will also nibble on our pant legs.  He isn't being mean when he does it - there is licking and wagging involved.  But other than yelling at him, which we try very hard to avoid, what do you suggest?  We have tried saying "no" in a loud and firm voice, we have tried to re-direct him by giving him toys to chew on.  But the problem is persistent.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks!

Hi, It's easy to teach No bite;  it's called bite inhibition;
Please hit link and read full article ;

Installing bite inhibition
In the best of all worlds, puppies initially learn bite inhibition while still with their mom and littermates, through negative punishment: the pup’s behavior makes a good thing go away. If a pup bites too hard while nursing, the milk bar is likely to get up and leave. Pups learn to use their teeth softly, if at all, if they want the good stuff to keep coming. As pups begin to play with each other, negative punishment also plays a role in bite inhibition. If you bite your playmate too hard, he’ll likely quit the game and leave.

For these reasons, orphan and singleton pups (as well as those who are removed from their litters too early) are more likely to have a “hard bite” (lack of bite inhibition) than pups who have appropriate interactions for at least seven to eight weeks with their mother and siblings. These dogs miss out on important opportunities to learn the consequences of biting too hard; they also fail to develop “tolerance for frustration,” since they don’t have to compete with littermates for resources. They may also be quicker to anger -and to bite without bite inhibition -if their desires are thwarted. Note: Being raised with their litter doesn’t guarantee good bite inhibition; some dogs have a genetic propensity to find hard biting (and its consequences) to be reinforcing; others may have had opportunity to practice and be reinforced for biting hard.

HOPE the article helps !
Best wishes!
Marie Peppers LPN MA

Need help with feeding or supplements;  
ask me here:
My private e-mail  

Maria ; New Pug Puppy; Feeding your Pug dog;

Pugs ; Pugs with Allergies, Pug puppies; Feeding a new Pug puppy ; Pug vitamins ; Everything Pugs; Pug care from puppies to adult age. How to care for your new Pug puppy, feeding, bathing, NuVet Plus supplements, potty training, special diets, and basic behavior training. I will do my best to answer your questions and concerns. _______ Please Remember, I am NOT a VET... Major health questions, please see your local Vet. Thanks *** __________ NuVET Plus - Natural Supplements, Diet / health choices Hit Highlighted link for my private site;

I have worked with Vets for over 15 years; I have also cared for many pugs at my boarding kennel. Also, I help many Pug owners with supplements and feeding a home-cooked diet.

Working with this breed for over 15 years in a professional setting.

Too many to list;