Qbasic, Quickbasic/Expected: variable or end-of-statement error ?

Question
QUESTION: Hello, Im a college student that is taking a BASIC/QBASIC programming class as part of a Web pg design major.. As part of the final in that class I have to Compute and output the amounts earned by each of these salespeople:

Salesperson         Gross Sales
  Carlos Ortiz         $90,000
     Jill Johnson         $70,000
     Don Williams         $20,000
     Dee Jones         $95,000
     Al Ennis         $40,000
My code is below, but i keep getting an Expected: variable or end-of-statement error on the the LINE INPUT #x, person, grosssale, when I switched the "Line Input" to Input I got an "Input past end of file" error

so how should I got about fixing the xpected: variable or end-of-statement error on the the LINE INPUT #x, person, grosssale ? Because ive gotten it on our files as well
My code is below:

DIM x AS INTEGER
DIM person AS STRING, grosssale AS DOUBLE
DIM salary AS DOUBLE

x = FREEFILE

OPEN "sales.dat" FOR INPUT AS #x
WHILE NOT EOF(x)
LINE INPUT #x, person, grosssale
salary = 10000 + .1 * grosssale
IF grosssale > 80000 THEN
salary = salary + 500
END IF
PRINT person; " : "; salary
WEND
CLOSE #1
Thanks for your help

ANSWER: Hi Jason,

After looking over your code, I think the issue is probably how the data is saved in the file.  Can you show me what sales.dat looks like?

Also, you'll definitely want to use INPUT rather than LINE INPUT - LINE INPUT literally takes a whole line from a file and tosses it into the first variable, than repeats, so if your file looks like:

Carlos, $90,000
Jill, $70,000
Don, $20,000

LINE INPUT would get the following for you:

LINE INPUT person$, amount#
PRINT person$
PRINT amount#
'' Output:
'' Carlos, $90,000
'' 70

The reason the second is 70 is because it tries to convert the string into a DOUBLE, but QBasic doesn't know what to do with your dollar sign or comma, so it takes the first number amount it "sees", which is 70.

So, before I see your file, this is how it should probably look:

"Carlos Ortiz", 90000
"Jill Johnson", 70000
"Don Williams", 20000
"Dee Jones", 95000
"Al Ennis", 40000

By using quotes, QBasic's INPUT can determine when a string begins and ends, and the comma is used to tell QBasic we're dealing with separate variables.

DIM x AS INTEGER
DIM salary AS DOUBLE

x = FREEFILE

OPEN "sales.dat" FOR INPUT AS #x

WHILE NOT EOF(x)
  INPUT #x, person, grosssale
  salary = 10000 + .1 * grosssale
  IF grosssale > 80000 THEN
    salary = salary + 500
  END IF
  PRINT person; " : "; salary
WEND

CLOSE #1

I hope that helps,
-Alex

QUESTION: here is what the "sales.dat" file looks like

Salesperson          Gross Sales
DATA Carlos Ortiz,          90000
DATA Jill Johnson,          70000
DATA Don Williams,          20000
DATA Dee Jones,          95000
DATA Al Ennis,          40000
DATA, 0,0

Answer
So when you're reading from a file, QBasic doesn't actually run commands like DATA

DATA is used for in-program information (rather than a file source) - if the project you're working on requires you to use in-program information, then add this to the bottom of your BAS file:

DATA "Carlos Ortiz", 90000
DATA "Jill Johnson", 70000
DATA "Don Williams", 20000
DATA "Dee Jones", 95000
DATA "Al Ennis", 40000
DATA "", 0

Using DATA would mean you'd have to restructure your program to do the appropriate READ rather than INPUT, and you wouldn't need to use a file/file handle.

If you are supposed to use a file, sales.dat should look like this:

"Carlos Ortiz", 90000
"Jill Johnson", 70000
"Don Williams", 20000
"Dee Jones", 95000
"Al Ennis", 40000

Try putting that into your sales.dat and see what happens - if it doesn't work, I can re-look at your code and file.

Take care,
-Alex

Qbasic, Quickbasic

Alex Barry