Qbasic, Quickbasic/running the program directly

Question
Hello!! :) i have made a program and i want to change the extension ".bas" to ".exe" so that while double clicking the file it will directly open the output screen without showing the code part!! could you please help me with this??

Answer
Hi Sagar,

The process you're talking about is called compiling, which takes your code and turns it into machine code.  This is actually a fairly automated process with QBasic 4.5 and above, _BUT_ because QBasic is a DOS-based interpreter (and compiler), which is 16-bit, and modern Windows uses 32-bit and 64-bit, so it can't natively be run.

So, you have a few options for compiling your code:

1. Use a virtual machine and run FreeDOS or an older version of Windows XP (before Service Pack 2, I believe)
2. Try running your code using QB64, which can run on most modern operating systems, and can compile your QBasic code (with minimal modifications).
3. You could try FreeBASIC, which is like QB64, but it's just a command-line compiling tool which may not be easily familiar to you if your only experience is with QBasic's IDE.

I hope that points you in the right direction,

-Alex  

Qbasic, Quickbasic

Alex Barry