Qbasic, Quickbasic/Qbasic

Question
WAP to find if given number is divisible by 3 or not

Answer
Hi Sachet,

To answer this question, you'll need to remember some early public school math and remainders.  We know that if we try and divide with whole numbers, if they are not divisible by each other, there is a left over.  For insance, 5 / 2 = 2, remainer 1.  The remainder can be found using the MOD operator, which is like division, but will only return the remainder of a division.

DIM my_remainder AS INTEGER

my_remainder = 5 MOD 2
PRINT my_remainder
REM - OUTPUT: 1

Oppositely, if you want to know if number "X" is divisible by 3, you will know if the remainder is 0, meaning everything divided fully.

I will not give you the answer beyond this; I have now given you the knowledge of how to see if a number is divisible by any number (including 3).

Now you can do what any programmer would do; trial and error.  Try some code with numbers that you know.   Here is how I would check to see if I had the right answer:

DIM test_number AS INTEGER

test_number = 3 '' We know this will work, because 3 / 3 = 1, and 1 is a whole number

IF 'PUT YOUR FORMULA HERE USING MOD' = 0 THEN
  PRINT test_number; " is divisible by 3"
ELSE
  PRINT test_number; " is not diviisble by 3"
END IF

Now try changing test_number to other values you know should or should not work.  For instance, you should know that 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21 should work (formula should equal 0), and that 4, 7, 10, 11, 13 should not work (formula will not equal 0).  If your formual gives the correct results for all of these cases, you should be fine.

-Alex

Qbasic, Quickbasic

Alex Barry