Quality Control - TQM, Six Sigma, ISO 9000/Document revision control

Question
Hello Mr. AuBuchon,

I work for a small company ~100+ employees.  I am finding that document revision control should be implemented on some scale.  

I have been reading that GitHub and Mercurial have document revision controls but these largely appear to be designed for computer programmers.  Are you aware of any open sourced type of programs that can automatically add revision control numbers across any or all documents that an employee may generate or edit?  Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Allen

Answer
Thank you for your question.  Document control is an important aspect of any company.  Knowing what revision is in place is just as important as knowing whey documents contain.  Changes in policies, contracts or revisions to contracts must exhibit they contain all the contract requirements and current policies.

Basically a simple word program should meet your needs in controlling document revision.  Individuals who have the responsibility of controlling and or generating documents for your business must understand contract language and the needs of the workforce to understand the requirements.  Controlling unauthorized changes to documents can be accomplished by placing documents in a sealed plastic envelope.  This will prevent changes being made by workers that they feel need to be made but has not been accepted by management.  Changes being suggested by those performing work need to be properly evaluated and explained to employees suggesting them why they are not accepted or if they will be implemented.

Hope this helps.  

Quality Control - TQM, Six Sigma, ISO 9000

Dennis AuBuchon