Quality Control - TQM, Six Sigma, ISO 9000/total quality management

Question
a class of students are expected to make an average of 70% in an examination.the average mark of the students turned out to 57.5% with a standard deviation of 11.2.your task is to decide how you will investigate this problem.1-define a business case-communicate the project direction and benefits to all members.2-develop problem and preliminary goal statement aligned with organizational priorities.3-assess project scope.4-select project team and define roles.5-identify the critical to quality CTQ and the vital characteristics for this project.

Answer
Thanks for your question.

In looking at the results as identified I would look into if the same question or type of question has a high failure rate.  There can be commonality in the responses and when a number of students choose the wrong answer to the same question there may be room to provide additional information to better understand the concept presented.

Expecting a 70% success rate is a viable goal but really understanding the concept of TQM may not necessarily mean the success rate represents a disconnect with the concept.  Total quality Management is a philosophy which instills that quality is everyone's business

Goals are important in any type of examination but it must be clearly defined which includes the purpose and a plan to achieve the goal.  The questions being asked must be part of a process to discuss the approach of the quality philosophy presented and help them to understand why one approach is better than another.

Analyzing results of examinations is not an easy process and a examination which looks into quality concepts and philosophy must carefully look at the answers provided.  It must be determined if there is a minor disconnection with the philosophy or if the students totally missed the concept presented in the questions.

Quality Control - TQM, Six Sigma, ISO 9000

Dennis AuBuchon