Quality Control - TQM, Six Sigma, ISO 9000/manufacturing

Question
good day
if one subcontracts his or her manufacturing, what can be done to ensure and hold liable the subcontracted manufacturer maintain standards and produce all units produced to exact specs.

Answer
This is a great question which all businesses struggle with but it is not difficult to answer.  First and foremost the contract needs to incorporate a reward mechanism for meeting or exceeding the standards to which they are to manufacture the products or the services they are to provide.  The second thing is to identify within the contractual terms the responsibility to rework or replace any defective product or redo the service at no cost to you as a prime contractor.

Ensuring quality products or service is important to the reputation of your company but it begins with choosing the right subcontractor for the work that needs to be done.  This requires evaluating the reputation of subcontractors being considered along with any and all awards which they may have received.

You contractual terms with your customer may also dictate your responsibilities to provide quality products and service or you may face penalties or fines.  Ensuring subcontractors meet the standards of their contract along with those which you are to provide requires that auditing both at their facility and/or yours to ensure the products or services being provided meet the standards contractually imposed.  Audits can be done by a representative at a subcontractor facility and in your receiving operations.

It is also important that any material certifications sources which a subcontractor may choose to utilize meet recognized standards throughout the country.

Hope this helps.  

Quality Control - TQM, Six Sigma, ISO 9000

Dennis AuBuchon