Queen/Barcelona

Question
Hello Niek.
In Freddie's album "Barcelona" with Montserrat Caballe,
Who wrote the music and orchestrated it?
Did Freddie have enough music expertise to write all the music in the album?

Thanks, Lio.

Answer
Hi Lio,

Most of the music written came out of jamsessions with Freddie Mercury on vocals and Mike Moran on piano. They wrote the music together although I suspect Freddie brought in the original ideas. Their early ideas were captured on tape and circulate amoung Queen collectors.
The arrangements were also done by Mercury and Moran. Moran also programmed many of the synthesized orchestral instruments into his keyboard.  

In 2012 the album Barcelona was released again, this time with a full orchestra instead of a hybrid production which was chosen for in 1988. The 2012 version used most of the original arrangements, but the orchestrations were done by Stuart Morley.

I think Freddie would have been able to arrange the material all by himself. But I think he wanted to make the best music he ever made, and he thought he wasn't sure of his own capabilities. He also asked Mike Moran to play piano because he thought he wasn't good enough to play piano to support an opera star.

The lyrics were written by Mercury, except Ensueño (Montserrat Caballé), The Fallen Priest and The Golden Boy (Tim Rice)

I hope this was of any help!

Cheers!
Niek Lucassen

Queen

Niek Lucassen