Questions about Movies/Football stadium explosion.

Dark Knight Rises football scene.
Dark Knight Rises foot  
There's this scene in the most recent Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises"(2012)where the villain named Bane sets off an explosion in various parts of Gotham City and one of the areas which received damage from the explosion was this football field where a game had just started. During the explosion, much of the football field collapses downward in a deep hole and, unfortunately, the football players couldn't outrun the collapsing ground underneath them and all of them, except for just one, fell into the deep hole. From what I can tell from watching that scene, it looked liked those football players were basically swallowed by the collapsing ground, however, the movie didn't indicate whether or not if the football players who fell in the hole died. Based on the description do you, in your opinion, think that those football players most likely died? I also have an image of the stadium explosion that I wanted to share.

Hello, David -- Yes, I saw that movie, and I believe that writer-director Christopher Nolan wanted to show us a fatal terrorist attack that killed the players on the field.  Did you know that some of the football players were portrayed by real NFL team members?   Hines Ward gave an interview about playing the one who survived:

You might be interested in this assessment of the scene by football fans:

Thanks for writing!

Questions about Movies

Nell Minow

Movies, especially classic movies, current movies, family movies, and movies for families.

I am the movie critic for Beliefnet and radio stations across the country. I have written about movies for USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Sun Times, Parents, Family Fun, Child, Slate, and Daughters. I am the weekly movie critic for radio stations across the US and in Canada and write weekly parental advisories for the Chicago Sun-Times and the Kansas City Star. I have appeared on Fox Morning News, the ABC Evening News, CBS This Morning, and NPR, and been profiled in the NY Times, Washingtonian, Chicago Magazine, and the Chicago Tribune. My book, The Movie Mom's Guide to Family Movies, was published by Avon in April 1999 and is now in its second edition. I can answer questions about movies for special interests, especially family concerns, handling questions from kids like "What do I do when he says everyone else has seen it?" to "My daughter got nightmares from a movie --how can I help her?" or "Why does my child want to see the DVD over and over?" to "What's the deal with Pokemon?" I am pretty good with trivia questions about movies, too, not as good with made-for-TV movies or miniseries. And I don't know much about horror/slasher films, sorry.

Broadcast, Online, and Washington DC film critics associations

The Movie Mom's Guide to Family Movies, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, USA Today, The Practical Guide to Practically Everything

film critic for high school and college papers before becoming a professional movie critic

Roger Ebert's "Thumbs Up" award, presenter at Ebertfest and the Tallgrass Film Festival, member of the Online, DC, Broadcast and women's film critic/writer associations.