Questions about Movies/FOLLOW ME 2

QUESTION: I was wondering would you please explain to me: why do they make prequel's after they made and showed the sequels?

(P.S would you please try to give your answer in a easy way that I can understand)

ANSWER: That's a good question!  And there is not one answer.  The overall answer is that they will make whatever they think will sell the most tickets.  Sometimes they make a prequel because the characters are dead at the end of the original or just so settled that it is hard to come up with new challenges for them.  For example, the characters are dead at the end of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," so all they could do was show the characters' early years in the (not very good) follow-up.  Same for the prequel to "300" that's opening in the US next week.  The second reason is that fans of the characters might be curious about the early years of the characters or their backstory.  That's the case with everything from "Muppet Babies" and "Little Archie" and "Young Sherlock Holmes" to the Star Wars movies.  

Hope that helps!

Thanks for writing.

QUESTION: I was wondering would you please tell me: do sequel's have the same actors in them as the first film?

Sometimes they do.  Sometimes they do not.  It depends on the availability and willingness of the actor.  These days, when actors sign movie contracts, they are often required to make a commitment to be in one or more sequels.  Superhero movies, the Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and Twilight movies had mostly the same actors, for example.  But the actor who played Dumbledore in the first two Harry Potter movies died and was replaced with another actor.  And in prequels the original actor may to too old to play the younger version of the character, as in the most recent of the "Star Wars" movies.

Thanks for writing!  Hope this helps.

Questions about Movies

Nell Minow

Movies, especially classic movies, current movies, family movies, and movies for families.

I am the movie critic for Beliefnet and radio stations across the country. I have written about movies for USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Sun Times, Parents, Family Fun, Child, Slate, and Daughters. I am the weekly movie critic for radio stations across the US and in Canada and write weekly parental advisories for the Chicago Sun-Times and the Kansas City Star. I have appeared on Fox Morning News, the ABC Evening News, CBS This Morning, and NPR, and been profiled in the NY Times, Washingtonian, Chicago Magazine, and the Chicago Tribune. My book, The Movie Mom's Guide to Family Movies, was published by Avon in April 1999 and is now in its second edition. I can answer questions about movies for special interests, especially family concerns, handling questions from kids like "What do I do when he says everyone else has seen it?" to "My daughter got nightmares from a movie --how can I help her?" or "Why does my child want to see the DVD over and over?" to "What's the deal with Pokemon?" I am pretty good with trivia questions about movies, too, not as good with made-for-TV movies or miniseries. And I don't know much about horror/slasher films, sorry.

Broadcast, Online, and Washington DC film critics associations

The Movie Mom's Guide to Family Movies, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, USA Today, The Practical Guide to Practically Everything

film critic for high school and college papers before becoming a professional movie critic

Roger Ebert's "Thumbs Up" award, presenter at Ebertfest and the Tallgrass Film Festival, member of the Online, DC, Broadcast and women's film critic/writer associations.