Questions about Movies/question about dvds in general

why are theatrical releases of films cut to shreds and all the cut material is saved for the DVD?

You know how when you buy the DVD to a movie you saw in theaters, it always has "the original ending" included? This means they deliberately cut it from the theatrical release so that you would buy the DVD to see it.

I can't agree with the assumption of your question.  Filmmakers and studios put their best work into the theatrical releases.  Sometimes they make changes after showing the film to test audiences, but that is because they want to make as much money in box office receipts from ticket sales as possible.  Sometimes the studio overrules the director, but in every case the people who have the contractual right to approve the theatrical release put into the theaters the version they think will be most successful.  

To make the DVDs more appealing, especially to those who have seen the film, they will put in deleted scenes or alternate endings or behind the scenes interviews or trailers.  Of the thousands of films released on DVD, only a small fraction of a percentage include alternate endings and almost in every case those are versions that were correctly rejected in favor of ones more likely to be preferred by audiences.  

I hope that is helpful!

Questions about Movies

Nell Minow

Movies, especially classic movies, current movies, family movies, and movies for families.

I am the movie critic for Beliefnet and radio stations across the country. I have written about movies for USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Sun Times, Parents, Family Fun, Child, Slate, and Daughters. I am the weekly movie critic for radio stations across the US and in Canada and write weekly parental advisories for the Chicago Sun-Times and the Kansas City Star. I have appeared on Fox Morning News, the ABC Evening News, CBS This Morning, and NPR, and been profiled in the NY Times, Washingtonian, Chicago Magazine, and the Chicago Tribune. My book, The Movie Mom's Guide to Family Movies, was published by Avon in April 1999 and is now in its second edition. I can answer questions about movies for special interests, especially family concerns, handling questions from kids like "What do I do when he says everyone else has seen it?" to "My daughter got nightmares from a movie --how can I help her?" or "Why does my child want to see the DVD over and over?" to "What's the deal with Pokemon?" I am pretty good with trivia questions about movies, too, not as good with made-for-TV movies or miniseries. And I don't know much about horror/slasher films, sorry.

Broadcast, Online, and Washington DC film critics associations

The Movie Mom's Guide to Family Movies, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, USA Today, The Practical Guide to Practically Everything

film critic for high school and college papers before becoming a professional movie critic

Roger Ebert's "Thumbs Up" award, presenter at Ebertfest and the Tallgrass Film Festival, member of the Online, DC, Broadcast and women's film critic/writer associations.