Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software/Duplicate credit memos

Question
QUESTION: Hi Karen,
I was wondering if there is a way to get a warning about entering duplicate credit memos in Quickbooks 2010. It does warn me about duplicate invoice numbers, but not credits. I notice a lot of other people are having the same issue.
Thank you!

ANSWER: Hi Kathy,
With the preference for warning about duplicate numbers turned on in the Preference window, QuickBooks 2010 does warn of duplicate numbers in invoices, credit memos. It will also cross-reference credit memos and invoices. However, it will only do this on the initial save. If you save the item, then go back, and change the number, it will catch the duplicates

If you are putting a CM in front of the number for credit memos, the field is read as alpha numeric and will consider CM300 different from  300 and CM300 different from CM 300.

If this doesn't take care of your issue, please let me know.
Karin

Karin

QUESTION: Hi Karen,
I do have it set to warn me about duplicates. But it does not warn about the credits. There is actually one window in the preferences for "bills", it says nothing about credit memos. I do not go in and change the number once it's entered - and it always lets me enter the dups! This is very frustrating, I appreciate your help!

Thank you,
Kathy

Answer
Hi Kathy,
I think my previous answer was slightly in error. I was answering referring to customer credit memos and invoices.
In QuickBooks 2010, vendor credits were not scrutinized for duplicates.  This issue was resolved in later versions.
I wish I could give you a better answer, but regretfully, this was an issue that they chose to correct in newer versions.
You can set up a custom report to check for the duplicates. Go to reports/Vendors&Payables/UnpaidBillsDetail.  Modify the report using the filters, change the paid status to either, and modify the transaction type to Bill Credit.

I hope this helps.
Karin

Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software

Karin Hostetler