Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software/QuickBooks

Question
QUESTION: How can I delete a company and all its' info from QuickBooks. It's company info that I no longer need any info for. However I still have another company's info that I use regularly, I just want to clean up the system. Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Lisa,
I do not understand your question. Each company should have it's own quickbooks file with the appropriate information in the company information window (Name, ein etc# If you are indeed running two companies in one Quickbooks file,I would recommend starting a new file for 2014 with the information from the company that you are still running.
You can export your lists #customers, venders etc) and then import them into the new file to avoid quite a bit of item entry. It gets a bit complicated to insure that all the correct balances are brought over to the new company.  I would recommend having your accountant look over both files to ensure that the correct ending balances from the company are entered as the beginning balances in the new company.
Hope this helps.
Karin

QUESTION: In my QB program I have company info that I currently use; I understand what you said about starting new for 2014; the problem is I have an old company file in my QB program that I no longer need the info for. I want to delete this file. How can I accomplish that?

Answer
Hi Lisa,
I would be sure that I had a backup of the old file before removing the QuickBooks file completely. (for tax purposes, you should always have a record)
Once you have backed up the file to an external source (thumb drive, the cloud etc), close the file and close QuickBooks.
Open up My Computer (either from your desktop, or from the Start menu) and go to the drive and folder that contains your QuickBooks files. Once you have located that folder, right click on the QBW file of the company that you want to remove and then chose delete. Click yes/ok when it asks if you are sure you want to delete it.
Please be sure to back the file up before deleting it.
Hope this helps.
Karin

Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software

Karin Hostetler