Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software/Accounts receivable problem

We use Quick Books Pro 2011 since 2005 for a small candy company and have an $871 accounts receivable balance but no outstanding invoices.  Perhaps this was generated originally in 2005 as we were trying to correct some errors.  How do we get this off out books since we have no outstanding invoices?

Hi Joan,
To make sure that I'm understanding your question. When you run a Balance sheet report, you are showing the $871 balance, but your accounts receivable report is showing no customers with a balance.
If this is the case, then it does sound as if your issue is with an adjusting entry.
I would do a journal entry
credit accounts receivable for the 871
debit retained earnings

If you have already sent your file to your accountant for 2013, you can either let them know to do this at the beginning of last year, if you haven't sent the file, date the journal entry for 1/1/2013. If you set a closing date, you will need to enter the password to enter the journal entry.

Hope this helps.

Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software

Karin Hostetler

I am a certifed member of QuickBooks® Professional Advisor group and can answer questions on Quickbooks® Basic and Pro, all versions through 2011. I do onsite, telephone and online consulting through my website at: http://www.karinhconsulting.com Have a complicated issue that you can't put into one question? Consider a one time FREE 60 minute phone consultation. (724) 557-4652

I have worked with Quickbooks® since version 1, and have had a tip published on the Intuit website. I work exclusively with small business owners in setting up Quickbooks®, giving on-going support to tweak the reports, resolving data issues and correcting problems. I offer monthly, quarterly and yearly tune-ups to prepare the clients data for presentation to their CPA at year end.

Intuit Pro-connection

I have a degree in Administration and Management with 20 years of hands on business experience in many fields